How big of boat for trailer brakes

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all. I am just curious how heavy is a boat before a trailer with brakes is needed. I am not quite sure how heavy my boat is because I am not at home. If it helps it is a 1989 Baja islander 190. It has a mercruiser 3.0 in it. It is on a single axle elite trailer. The reason I am asking is because my brakes on my truck are fine and can stop on a dime. However when I am pulling my boat it just feels like it is pushing me more than it should. I almost have to let off the gas and slowly start depressing the brake a good 1/4 mile or so just to stop at a light or stop sign without going through it. There are some turns on my route that I slow down just to be safe because a light is right around the bend and if I don't hit the brakes in time well I'm not stopping. I do drive it safe and slow down way before just to be safe. My opinion and I could be wrong but I think that I shouldn't have to start slowing down that far to come to a complete stop. Any input would be great. Thanks

oldjeep

Admiral
Legally it depends on your state. Practically it sounds like you need them. What are you towing with?

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Legally it depends on your state. Practically it sounds like you need them. What are you towing with?
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. All the brakes and rotors/drums are good. Like I said previously without pulling the boat it stops on a dime like it should.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you have to anticipate a stop sign or light by a 1/4 mile, what are you going to do when a kid darts out in front of you? Yell sorry as the truck and trailer smush the kid into the pavement?

No, you aren't driving safe no matter what the law says about brakes. Either fix the brakes or add brakes to the trailer.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes.

Legally, it depends on one's specific region. For example, CA law states any loaded trailer over 1,500 lbs needs brakes. Little utility trailer behind a large Hummer needs brakes? Not too sure about that. But their trailer towing law says it does.

In my region, the limit is 3,000 lbs. My fully loaded 2,600 lbs trailer (trailer, boat and its cargo) pushes my tow vehicle around like a rag doll. In my region, they really do need to re-visit trailer brake laws and their 3,000 limit number. But, that's a topic for a different post.

Long mumblings short.... I'd install Brakes on the attached trailer if trailer, boat and its loaded items are above 2,000 lbs. Or, if that combo pushes my Tow Vehicle around. Panic stops and trailer brakes do save lives - regardless of what one's local law says the limit should be.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your boat weighs in at 2200# dry. Add 300# gas, 200# for batteries and other gear. 750# for a trailer. You are up to 3450#.

I would want brakes for that load.

I also wonder about your truck brakes even though you said they stop on a dime without the trailer.

Last edited:

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have to anticipate a stop sign or light by a 1/4 mile, what are you going to do when a kid darts out in front of you? Yell sorry as the truck and trailer smush the kid into the pavement?

No, you aren't driving safe no matter what the law says about brakes. Either fix the brakes or add brakes to the trailer.

Ok I may have been exaggerating a bit about the 1/4 mile anticipation. But it does push me more than I think it should. That is why I was asking. The truck brakes are fine so I will look into getting brakes put on it. About the kid into the pavement comment. I would feel terrible amd I don't know how I could go on as I have kids of my own. highly unlikely kids would dart out in front of me on most of the roads I travel. Speed limit on the roads I live until I get to the state roads are 20mph and it stops fine at those speeds. I think this whole thing got blown out of proportion from exaggerating a little bit but thanks for your input

oldjeep

Admiral
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. All the brakes and rotors/drums are good. Like I said previously without pulling the boat it stops on a dime like it should.

If that little boat is pushing your ram around then your brakes are screwed up big time.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need for trailer brakes blown out of proportion? Or, "it will never happen to me" attitude?

I was pulling my boat trailer (with full electric brakes) in a small town doing 30 mph and a blonde young woman ran out between 2 parked cars. Unknown / unseen by me until later, 2 guys were chasing her (to have fun with her body). I did panic stop and even my vehicle ABS brakes came on. Must of stopped 1" from her hip. Made so much noise during panic stop, it also attracted others. If my boat trailer didn't have brakes, it would have taken longer to stop - and would shattered her hip bones. Since then, I'm a firm believer in trailer brakes - regardless what one's local law states. If your trailer pushes your Tow Vehicle to the point that it makes the driver feel uncomfortable, then the trailer needs brakes. It's that simple.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ok I may have been exaggerating a bit about the 1/4 mile anticipation. But it does push me more than I think it should. That is why I was asking. The truck brakes are fine so I will look into getting brakes put on it. About the kid into the pavement comment. I would feel terrible amd I don't know how I could go on as I have kids of my own. highly unlikely kids would dart out in front of me on most of the roads I travel. Speed limit on the roads I live until I get to the state roads are 20mph and it stops fine at those speeds. I think this whole thing got blown out of proportion from exaggerating a little bit but thanks for your input

I got your attention and that was the point. If the trailer is pushing the truck around when braking, then something needs to be done. If you do a hard stop, the rear of the truck is raising and the trailer is adding to that lift, reducing the braking and traction of the rear wheels. Brakes on the trailer hold the rear of the truck down during a stop, increasing stability along with decreased braking distance.

I used a kid as an extreme example. But dogs and deer do the dumbest things, not to mention others pulling out in front of you. And it can happen to anyone of us.

Just from a comfort standpoint, trailer brakes will help. I glad you're looking at getting trailer brakes. Carry through with it for your own safety.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Or get hydraulic disk brakes and you never have to regret working on drum brakes ever again. I would never put drum brakes on a trailer ever again.

oldjeep

Admiral
Or get hydraulic disk brakes and you never have to regret working on drum brakes ever again. I would never put drum brakes on a trailer ever again.

I never had any issues with my drum brake trailers, but agree that if you are going to bother installing from scratch on a boat trailer then I'd use surge disk brakes. Any trailer that I have to use during the snow months gets electric just as a safety issue.