Spindle Seal kit ??

handle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used the Spindle Seal kit by Bearing Buddy to repair leaky axle seals ? If so, are you happy with the results and if not why?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone used the Spindle Seal kit by Bearing Buddy to repair leaky axle seals ? If so, are you happy with the results and if not why?

handle, I've never actually used them, but I hear they are actually a little smaller in their inside diameter to help seal around the axle spindle. BUT, If I'm not mistaken, you can go to most any auto parts store and buy the same reduced inside diameter seals without going through Bearing Bubbies... Check them out before spending your money. Also, make sure if the spindle area where a rear seal would run is pitted or really rough, that you smooth that area down before refitting such seals or they will chew them up quickly. Could save a few dollars... JMHO!

handle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
gm , Have tried to clean up the area where the seal sits but the metal doesn't seem to smooth out at all. What's your suggestion for cleaning up this area ?
The collar is pitted bad..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gm , Have tried to clean up the area where the seal sits but the metal doesn't seem to smooth out at all. What's your suggestion for cleaning up this area ?
The collar is pitted bad..

I see, so you will need a sleeve for that. And they are available as well from most auto parts stores. The sleeve actually fits over the old chewed up seal area and is then smooth for the new seal to run on. So go to the auto parts store and ask them about a sleeve for your spindle. Make sure you have the old seal so they know the proper size... Let us know how it works out... :thumb:

BillP

Captain
Yes, I've been using them for 30+ yrs on the same trailer. They are light years better than standard seals that ride directly on the spindle. You will not be disappointed. No leakage in or out. Spindle condition doesn't matter because the BB Spindo Seal kit installs over pitted spindles and seals them tight with an o-ring. The seals ride on polished stainless steel surfaces. The first set lasted me about 15 yrs of constant usage and long distance towing. I'm still on the 2nd set and still no leaking as of last weeks launching. You have to install the hubs properly too. Pack them and the bearings full of grease before sliding the hub on. Then drive a few miles and top off the BBs. Check them every time you trailer until they will not take more grease. Once the air in the hub is displaced with grease there is no room for water intrusion. After that is done you can go years and years without bearing problems. I also currently have had them on another trailer going on 10 yrs and a past trailer sold years back. They all worked great.

bp

handle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of my concerns is the new sleeve push's everything out a little so the cotter pin does not fit well. Second is will the sleeve compress more after use and leave me with a loose fitting hub and then a possible bearing failure ?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Handle Scaaty here..(Still Crazy After All These Years..Scaaty!) On SKF Speedi's? Cats meow! Done many worn out seal area boat trailer axles as live on Salt water so many corrode easy as steel. Thing is using that other convoluted thingy, you are only doing a band aid the problem, and not fixing the problem. This is Stainless steel, and fixes the worn surface and last years. Just clean up where its going and coat some sealant (I have no problem Sillycone) Slam it home, and done. Just make sure you get the right size for your application. Sold at any NAPA store too. Been a Machinist all my life (retired now), and this would have been a Godsend when we had to yank the shaft, toss in a lathe, cut down, "Metalize" or weld up, and machine back to size. Let me find a vid...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Handle Scaaty here..(Still Crazy After All These Years..Scaaty!) On SKF Speedi's? Cats meow! Done many worn out seal area boat trailer axles as live on Salt water so many corrode easy as steel. Thing is using that other convoluted thingy, you are only doing a band aid the problem, and not fixing the problem. This is Stainless steel, and fixes the worn surface and last years. Just clean up where its going and coat some sealant (I have no problem Sillycone) Slam it home, and done. Just make sure you get the right size for your application. Sold at any NAPA store too.
Just search youtube for a vid the "how it works"

handle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scaaty, Handle here, Just to be clear you are not talking about the Bearing Buddy product? Are they similar to the SKF's. I deliver parts for Fisher Auto Parts, wonder if they carry the SKF Speedi's you are referring to. Thanks for the input. Just got back from an outing and pulled the end caps and out came a small amount of water. I am fear full of adding a new product and traveling 600 miles too and from camp, when I know I can repack the old system and get by for now.

BillP

Captain
You are over thinking the situation and the problems posed do not exist. They are so simple and reliable its rediculous. BB invented the idea and have decades of ironing out any problems. The spindo seals are no more of a band aid than any other sleeve method. If you are not packing the hub tight with grease and not using a bb type unit to keep pressure on the grease don't expect water to stay out. Using only dust covers is marginally water tight when submerged and is a sure way to get water into the hub no matter what sealing method you use. I suggest getting input from others who actually use the product before making a decision.

bp

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
OK, I was having trouble with IBoats and my laptop in the shop not getting along yesterday. Why the double post. In the house now and let me add more. SKF Speedi Sleeves have nothing to do with any BB product whatsoever. Total different animal. On where you deliver go ahead and ask as the manager as should know about them. Not the kid at the counter. It such a easy fix (must be done right though) and very simple. And when I said "Sillycone" for lube and seal, should have said RTV. And I would not call this "just another band aid" as people do worn out seal area on crankshafts. Let me find some more on it.Heres some..

"It's not that hard to do a speedi sleeve on a crank if you take your time and be patient with it. I've done several on industrial equipment and the only times I had problems was when I rushed the job.

First, be sure the crank is clean. I mean clean. Did I mention it needs to be clean? Then I applied a slow setting RTV to the clean crank to act as a lubricant and sealer. Now comes the gut check, applying the sleeve. Very easy, and using just enough force to drive it on, hit the setting tool in the center and slowly drive the sleeve home. I mean in the center... Did I mention it has to be in the CENTER! If you hit it off-center it could damage the sleeve and ruin the job. DO NOT HIT IT OFF-CENTER. Once the sleeve is home it is a good practice to remove the flange. If you have access to a pipe of the appropriate ID and it can be cut perfectly square, I would recommend using that instead of the setting tool that is supplied with the sleeve.

You can file a relief on the crank to help get it started, but don't be too aggressive.

Remember, start out perfectly clean, take your time, and drive it exactly in the center and you will be just fine."

From me. These are very thin, so proper install is needed. On a trailer axle, you can leave the install lip on. And thats it. Rest is replace seals, bearings if not perfect shape, Pack'em, hub on. BB on with just enough pressure to push the cup out a bit.and good to go. DO NOT over pump it, as thats NOT how bearing buddies work.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can tell you first hand that the bearing buddy solution does fit all spindle configurations

I ended up with SKF Speedi-sleeve and switched to good quality radial shaft seal with rubber housings to minimize the effects of the eccentricity on the hub.

Going on 5 years with no sign of moisture in the bearing cavity.

BillP

Captain
I had no previous knowledge about the skf sleeve but just did some reading and found they are basically the same basic design as the bb kit. Installation appears to be a little more involved with the skf. Driving on, sealing with rtv and cutting off a part compared to sliding the bb kit. The exception is the bb kit comes with matching neoprene seals...which are more durable than generic "off the shelf" seals I've used.

bp

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I had no previous knowledge about the skf sleeve but just did some reading and found they are basically the same basic design as the bb kit. Installation appears to be a little more involved with the skf. Driving on, sealing with rtv and cutting off a part compared to sliding the bb kit. The exception is the bb kit comes with matching neoprene seals...which are more durable than generic "off the shelf" seals I've used.

bp

Same design, doesn't mean same dimensions.
I've used both.....the BB solution intrudes much further into the hub which negates their use on any "spindle lube" type axles.

Not a fan of neoprene in the application. I'll take a good quality, off the shelf, Nitrile radial shaft seal over a proprietary neoprene seal in the heart beat....