Quick tire change

oldjeep

Admiral
Had a tire peel its tread off last week on the way home from vacation, luckily we had a spare and the stuff to change it. Ordered a replacement up right away from etrailer (one of the few places I can get the size/load I need). Showed up today, 30 minutes later we are ready to go again. All you need is a hi-lift, chunk of 4x4, couple screwdrivers, home depot bucket and some dish soap.

WP_20150710_002.jpg

WP_20150715_001.jpg

WP_20150715_003.jpg

WP_20150715_004.jpg

WP_20150715_005.jpg

WP_20150715_006.jpg

WP_20150715_007.jpg

WP_20150715_009.jpg

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I just use a HF tire changer, got it on sale for $34 bucks and it works for everything I own. Except the darn snow blower, had to do that one by hand.

oldjeep

Admiral
I just use a HF tire changer, got it on sale for $34 bucks and it works for everything I own. Except the darn snow blower, had to do that one by hand.

I should buy one of those, seems like I wind up doing at least a couple tires a year.

dwco5051

Commander
I remember back when the bumper jack that came with your car was curved on the back of the base plate for breaking beads. Now cars don't even have bumpers anymore. Gosh, most everything I have with tires don't have tubes anymore. Did get a chance last year to demonstrate to my Amish neighbor's kids on how to seat beads on a tractor tire with starter fluid. Needless to say they were impressed.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Used to do my motorcycle tires also with a bucket, tire irons, dish soap suds and good ole brute strength.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I've been using a cheap Harbor Freight Tire changer/bead breaker for years. I have a motorcycle attachment for it as well. I've probably changed more than 100 car/truck/trailer tires with it and at least 60 motorcycle tires (25 pair on one of my bikes alone). I think the whole thing cost me 69 bucks.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
That's pretty cool. I didn't know you could mount a tire like that without the machine. Any need to balance trailer tires?

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
That's pretty cool. I didn't know you could mount a tire like that without the machine. Any need to balance trailer tires?

I've never balanced one, but some do. I hand mount all my jeep tires too, bigger they are the easier it tends to be.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Nice. I always figured that if you ordered tires online you would have to bring the tires and wheels somewhere and pay to have them installed -- negating most of the savings.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Nice. I always figured that if you ordered tires online you would have to bring the tires and wheels somewhere and pay to have them installed -- negating most of the savings.

I think most folks do. For me it would cost $10 locally to have them unmounted/mounted plus the time required to take them somewhere, and I can't buy this tire locally if I wanted to. For normal car tires, tirerack has some decent options to ship to an installer and get them installed for a reasonable price - still usually don't save much other than sales tax that way.

NHGuy

Captain
Sniff, I sell tires for a living, among other things.
My snobby attitude would be thus. You just saved the cost of a tire mount and used a metal screwdriver shaft on the finish of an alloy wheel that costs much more than the money you saved.
And if you tell me the finish isn't damaged I will say look again next year.
I have mounted lots of wheels without a machine, but always with a smooth shaped lever on a rag or a piece of plastic where the wheel gets touched.

oldjeep

Admiral
Sniff, I sell tires for a living, among other things.
My snobby attitude would be thus. You just saved the cost of a tire mount and used a metal screwdriver shaft on the finish of an alloy wheel that costs much more than the money you saved.
And if you tell me the finish isn't damaged I will say look again next year.
I have mounted lots of wheels without a machine, but always with a smooth shaped lever on a rag or a piece of plastic where the wheel gets touched.

Meh, been mounting them like this for 20 years. If there is a scratch in a trailer rim I couldn't care less.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have a pair of motorcycle tires irons and I wrap them tightly with good electrical tape. Scotch 33+

NHGuy

Captain
Who cares about balance on a trailer. I don't
I get the meh by the way. just had to butt in on your joy I guess, sorry to be a snot.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have an old style bubble level that you pick the tire with rim up and put it on, lays the weights on the rim of the tire until it balances out, but I don't worry about trailer tires or my ATV tires.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Never owned a trailer tire that had been balanced. They don't come balanced from the factory, or if you buy a new tire/rim combo.

I am having new tires put on my trailer this morning at Discount Tire and paying $16 per tire for "Installation and Lifetime Balancing fee". I wonder how much I am paying for the balancing part.