keep blowing fuse when running lights come on?

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Tahoe Q7i and matching Tahoe trailer. My question is this. I have a 4 pin connector from my suv (2011 Mercedes ML350 Bluetech) with a curt trailer module running the lights to the trailer. The trailer has a 5 pin connector on it. I know the last pin is to be hooked up to the reverse light to ad power when i'm backing up so the surge brakes don't lock backing up a hill. I plugged the 4 pin into the 5 pin, and my brake lights work, and my turn signals work. Then it gets weird. As soon as I turn on my headlights, the running lights turn on on the trailer and my left and right turn signals work fine BUT as soon as I tap the brakes I blow a fuse to the curt trailer module and lose all my trailer lights? What the heck? I've looked at all the trailer wiring and it's clean and nothing is rubbing or shorting that I can see. The ground pin might be a bit dirty but i've seen way way worse before that has still worked. So what do you boys think it could be? I'm kinda stumped and I feel stupid because it's a trailer this is the easiest wiring ever. thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like possibly with brakes and tails lit you may just be drawing too much amperage for your module/fuse.... What amperage is the fuse in question?
What is the model number of the module?

IF my theory turns out to be correct then you might consider upgrading to led's or getting a higher capacity module.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Tahoe Q7i and matching Tahoe trailer. My question is this. I have a 4 pin connector from my suv (2011 Mercedes ML350 Bluetech) with a curt trailer module running the lights to the trailer. The trailer has a 5 pin connector on it. I know the last pin is to be hooked up to the reverse light to ad power when i'm backing up so the surge brakes don't lock backing up a hill. I plugged the 4 pin into the 5 pin, and my brake lights work, and my turn signals work. Then it gets weird. As soon as I turn on my headlights, the running lights turn on on the trailer and my left and right turn signals work fine BUT as soon as I tap the brakes I blow a fuse to the curt trailer module and lose all my trailer lights? What the heck? I've looked at all the trailer wiring and it's clean and nothing is rubbing or shorting that I can see. The ground pin might be a bit dirty but i've seen way way worse before that has still worked. So what do you boys think it could be? I'm kinda stumped and I feel stupid because it's a trailer this is the easiest wiring ever. thanks

If you have the one in the link below it only allows for 3 amps brake and turn signal.
http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2011_Merc...nz_M-Class.htm
Specs:
  • Wire pigtails measure 17" long
  • 4-pole trailer connector is 58" long from converter box
  • Amperage allowance
    • 3.0 amps per turn/brake
    • 6.0 amps for taillight function

If this is the case as smoke mentioned you need to change trailer lights to led or find one which has a higher current rating.

Last edited: