Mercury 115 1987 stalls when put in gear in water help please

Thomas coe

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a new boat the other day and the motor runs and goes into gear great out of the water but in the water it stalls when put into gear. Any info would be great. Thanks

21BaylinerCC

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome! Please make sure you post in the correct forum - in this case, you would be better off in the Mercury motor forum.
I had the same problem on my 1988 125hp Force outboard - would shift when attached to the muffs, but would cut out while in the water. I had to adjust what I believe is called the throttle linkage adjustment. Have someone SLOWLY shift into gear while you adjust the screw. On my engine, it is located on the right side of the block, behind and slightly lower than my bottom carburetor. Hope this helps!

Thomas coe

Seaman Apprentice
I adjusted some cable linkage on the right side but only to Raise the RPM up a little

21BaylinerCC

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately, she is at the marina. Type in a search engine for throttle linkage and your engine model. Otherwise, iBoats should have the manual for your engine, which I highly recommend as it can provide immediate answers to a lot of questions.

Make sure you make slight adjustments. Don't go to drastic to avoid headache later, at least from my experience

Last edited: