Boat Weight?? Will my SUV handle it?

Just wondering if anyone had an idea on the weight of a 1972 Larson Tri-hull 17' sterndrive riding on a dual axle trailer?
I'm looking at buying a Grizzly 1860 Sportsman and I'm wondering how well my Nissan Xterra 4x4 is going to handle the new boat. It does pretty good with the old Larson (little pull on the ole SUV on hills) but it gets me there.
Any opinions will be much appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
cchildress142, that really depends on the total trailer loaded package weight. And I have no idea what that is. So check to see what the Nissan Xterra 4x4 hauling capabilities are and see what the trailer with boat and accessories weigh. If the trailer is well within the trailering capacities of the 4x4, then happy boating. Those figures should be available for you to look up... Also make sure you have about 10% of the weight of the trailer setup as tongue weight to trailer properly as well... JMHO!

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just wondering if anyone had an idea on the weight of a 1972 Larson Tri-hull 17' sterndrive riding on a dual axle trailer?

Have it weighed, subtract the weight of the trailer for boat weight ... ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Figure boat and trailer weigh around 3000# dry so close to 3500 but weigh it to make sure. Not sure what year your SUV is since you didn't say. Newer models are rated at 5000#.

Make sure the trailer has working brakes.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Have it weighed, subtract the weight of the trailer for boat weight ... ;)
Can't think of any reason to subtract anything since he's looking for towed weight...

Go to a truck stop, grain co'op, dump, scrap yard etc and weigh it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just take it to some kind of scale and have it weighed then you can figure out what is going on based the published figures for your tow vehicle. It really is not rocket science, find out what is going on, instead of asking us..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, 17 footer - say 1000# + sterndrive motor 1100# + gear- say 500# gives 2600+#. What is the rating on the 4X4?

BTW - As a check, I looked up my old boat. My18' SeaRay bowrider with a 4.3LX V6 Sterndrive was 2620 #.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
People, People,

Let's be nice to this guy. I live in the SF Bay area, and I have NO idea where I could get my rig weighed. No grain scales, etc. here - only CHP weigh stations on some freeways (waaay out of town) and they have signs that say NO PICKUPS. And looking online, I can't find the weight of my boat. So I feel his pain. Or, should I say, "felt". Chris, thanks for the info on your Sea Ray - that's what I have and that info is really helpful!

Dave

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The stern drive 1972 Larson 17 footer is listed at 2200 pounds dry weight.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
People, People,

Let's be nice to this guy. I live in the SF Bay area, and I have NO idea where I could get my rig weighed. No grain scales, etc. here - only CHP weigh stations on some freeways (waaay out of town) and they have signs that say NO PICKUPS. And looking online, I can't find the weight of my boat. So I feel his pain. Or, should I say, "felt". Chris, thanks for the info on your Sea Ray - that's what I have and that info is really helpful!

Dave

Dave,

Often times the ports will have scales that they will weigh your rig for you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep plenty of truck stops w scales around every major city including SF Bay Area....... Pretty much anywhere there is commercial trucking there is a scale or ten.

bigdee

Commander
Before you buy the boat ask if you can tow it on a trial run. You already know how the larson feels so do a comparison. That will tell you more than the scales will.

Last edited:

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Before you buy the boat ask if you can tow it on a trial run. You already know how the larson feels so do a comparison. That will tell you more than the scales will.

That sounds like the smart thing to do.

I tow my 26ft Regal that is 5500 lbs with my old Dodge Durango and it barely does the job...kinda wish I did that before I bought it cause I might have bought something a bit smaller.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Trailer is 1000 lbs and the manufacturer claims the boat is 4400 lbs dry. The way my SUV sees it it might as well be a block of cement. On flat and slight inclines it holds it's own but on the highway and hills that require you to go over 40mph it just cant break 35mph.

The truck is old and has 200k+ miles on it but I think even if it was new it still is too much boat for it to handle. Good thing I only move it 2x a year

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dry weight of my boat is 4200#. With the trailer, fuel, water, batteries, water, anchor, lines, tools....

...I am way over 6000#. My truck is at 35MPH going up some grades. I do not think it is too much for the truck.

Just the fuel alone is 480#. Water is 160#. 2 batteries 100#. Amazing how it adds up.

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Check the total towing capacity of the Nissan and then weigh the boat if the boat is heavier then the towing cap do not buy the Nissan