Trailer tire pressure?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
2003 Bayliner 185 with 4.3L Mercruiser.
Boat and trailer probably around 2,200 lbs give or take. Tires say maximum 50 psi. What should I fill them to? Tow vehicle is a Ford ranger 4.0L 4X4.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Look again... They don't likely say maximum pressure.... They will indicate that load capacity is xxxx lbs @ 50psi...... 50 psi is the specified inflation pressure.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Look again... They don't likely say maximum pressure.... They will indicate that load capacity is xxxx lbs @ 50psi...... 50 psi is the specified inflation pressure.

Mine say "Max load #### at Max Pressure 50lbs".......

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
All of my trailer tires have Max pressure ratings on them as do my truck tires.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Inflate to the 50# and do not adjust for the load or the temperature.
The sidewalls on a trailer tire are not meant to flex.
Flexing sidewalls will kill the tire in very few miles.
If the trip is expected to be long and hot, The tire will soften in the heat but the extra pressure from expansion will keep them rigid.
The tire says to inflate to 50# COLD!. The higher pressure in a hot tire is expected and necessary.
Do not let air out of a Hot Tire to get the 50# back again. It won't explode at 55psi!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I guess I just assumed(I know) that everybody knows that is the max inflation number on the tire is COLD inflation.

I agree with everyone else that you should inflate the trailer tires to 50 psi when the tires are cold (trailer has not been moving). While not really relevant to this post, I do think it is important to note that you are WAY off on the weight of your boat/trailer combination. The 2200 pounds you list is the boats dry weight as listed by the manufacturer, that does not include factory or dealer installed options, fuel, gear, or the TRAILER. I am quite confident that the actual weight you are towing is well over 3,000 pounds.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with everyone else that you should inflate the trailer tires to 50 psi when the tires are cold (trailer has not been moving). While not really relevant to this post, I do think it is important to note that you are WAY off on the weight of your boat/trailer combination. The 2200 pounds you list is the boats dry weight as listed by the manufacturer, that does not include factory or dealer installed options, fuel, gear, or the TRAILER. I am quite confident that the actual weight you are towing is well over 3,000 pounds.

Thank you for that better calculation of total weight. Much appreciated!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

You don't always inflate to max PSI. Depends on the load.

Your boat weighs 2123 dry. Add 800 to 1000 for your trailer and another 500 for gas and gear min. Probably at around 3500 or higher.

Going to have to bookmark that link! The very common, and very wrong, iboats knowledge is that you always, always, always inflate to what is on the side of the tire. That is wrong.

Tires are designed to have a specific sidewall angle and specific contact patch, which is achieved when the tire is loaded at the max weight at the specified PSI. If you are substantially lighter than the max weight, running at max psi will drastically reduce your contact patch. Iboats advice actually is making things less safe in this situation, not more.

(hint, watch the track of a bias ply tire when a trailer leaves the ramp empty vs loaded if you don't believe me...)

The other thing worth mentioning is that wheels have a maximum PSI also. Usually stamped on the metal and painted over, so generally tough to read. That is USUALLY well above the max tire psi for any tire you can fit on it, but not always. Never, ever, ever, go over the max wheel PSI.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you have a BOAT trailer loaded significantly lighter than the max specs on the tire you have the wrong tire on it...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well.... Lets say that if the next load range down would handle the weight then that's the one to have on it.

3400 lb load and two 1780 lb tires are a good match
3400 lb load and two 2450 lb tires .... Not so much.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well.... Lets say that if the next load range down would handle the weight then that's the one to have on it.

3400 lb load and two 1780 lb tires are a good match
3400 lb load and two 2450 lb tires .... Not so much.
So you feel a 4.7% margin is adequate?
Many tire suppliers say 20% is what is ideal.

Last edited: