is it worth fixing this trailer

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I had an issue with my trailer/boat coming unhooked and hitting a telephone pole at approximately 20mph. The tongue is bent pretty good I was thinking about replacing the entire tongue but I was wondering it it was worth putting the money onto this trailer.

Here are a few photos of the trailer anything other than the bent tounge that sticks out that would/could be an issue?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Is it welded together or bolted? You would have to replace the complete forward tube from where it goes through the V area of the cradle and then remount the winch as well as the coupler. If you are up for it, it would probably be less than finding a new trailer.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it welded together or bolted? You would have to replace the complete forward tube from where it goes through the V area of the cradle and then remount the winch as well as the coupler. If you are up for it, it would probably be less than finding a new trailer.

It is bolted

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Looks like a no brainier to me... Replace the tongue OR if length isn't an issue cut off the damaged rear portion and drill new holes n bolt your new shorter trailer together.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Length is an issue I was actually thinking about adding a foot to the tongue length. I was just wondering if the trailer look ok:worth spending the $130.00 on the square stock to replace the tongue. Is there anything that you can see in the photos that isn't right or may be an issue?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
cwison, I pretty much had a similar experience with a trailer I bought in a boat, trailer, engine packaged deal. I didn't see that the tongue was cracked until after I trailered it home. BUT, I did remove the old cracked tongue and welded on a new complete setup. And if you want to see that process, click on the link below and take a look. It isn't serious hard to do, but it does take some work. However, once you finish, you would have a very capable trailer worth much more then it is now and equally safe as well... So in answering your initial question, YES you can repair that trailer and make it good again... :thumb:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Length is an issue I was actually thinking about adding a foot to the tongue length. I was just wondering if the trailer look ok:worth spending the $130.00 on the square stock to replace the tongue. Is there anything that you can see in the photos that isn't right or may be an issue?

If you need an extra foot, it looks like you can move that winch tower forward to accomplish what you need. Unless it's currently not in the proper position. Make sure you check all the welds for any cracks....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Trailer looks fine in the pics AFAIK .... Buy the tube n get to drillin.

Make sure you degrease, prime, and paint before bolting it together.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If it were me I'd have it all apart already. Even in my neck of the woods were trailers are cheap and plentiful I couldn't replace that trailer for $150.00. Buy the new tube and add another foot or two. Too long is better than too short. Tilt trailer, correct?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is bolted

Then it would be pretty easy to fix, new tube, drilling some holes and bolting back together, as was said, make sure prime and paint before putting it back together and you should be good to go.

cwlson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If it were me I'd have it all apart already. Even in my neck of the woods were trailers are cheap and plentiful I couldn't replace that trailer for $150.00. Buy the new tube and add another foot or two. Too long is better than too short. Tilt trailer, correct?

Yes it is a tilt trailer I have it torn apart already but I can't get the material until monday due to the holiday

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm very fond of tilt trailers, mostly because of where and how I use it. Should be a pretty straight forward repair. Drill, paint and then move all old hardware from old to new.