mixing bias ply and radials on a trailer

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
So I want to buy some higher load range tires for my trailer. I just want to buy the tires alone, no rims... I have looked around, and it just seems hard to find bias ply tires in load range D in 205-75-15. I want that size because it is the size I have on four or my trailers!!!! so I can carry ONE spare...

the problem is I can only find radials in load range D in that size..... I don't want to change tire size because it would be too expensive...

so my question is if I buy teo radials and install them, then get a flat... and put on my bias ply spare.......... with I make it home..lets say an hour of driving ...

thanks

BOB

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Don't EVER mix bias with radial and go over 50 mph. (can do just about anything to limp to a gas station to get the right tire)

You can get away with it on the trailer but drive at a reduced speed because the trailer will be likely to sway and can flip the tow vehicle if you try going fast.

They respond to the road surface differently so you don't want to use mismatched type longer than you have to. its all about how the mix will make the vehicle respond and mixing types will always cause issues.

Won't damage the vehicle... it just won't be as stable as with matched tires.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
ok, so if that is true, then I don't want radials.....right now anyway..

does anyone know of a source for 205-75-15 tires in bias ply that have a rating of D or higher??? I found one tire with a D rating...wondering if there are any LT trailer tires that might have an E rating...I like the insurance of a higher rating... I think I am pegging my C rating right now...and I have to either add an axel, or get stiffer tires... or get a completely different trailer!

I recently picked up an aluminum dial axel trailer that is running 225's on 15' rims.... in that size the higher ratings are more common, but I am going to sell that trailer as its capacity is more than double what I need... and I think the trailer wont realize the action of the springs being so underloaded

bob

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hogwash... You won't even be able to tell you have a mismatched tire on the trailer.... Now maybe if you plan to be drifting on cloverleafs by otherwise drive normally, get home, and get a new matched tire.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
www west marine com/WestAdvisor/Trailer-Tire-Basics
"Each of your trailer?s tires should be the same type, size, and construction?do not mix bias-belted and radial tires."

Carlisle makes appropriate trailer rated bias tires.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Recommended and real world is entirely different things.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Don't get me wrong.... I wouldn't have mismatched tires as my first choice but to get back home on the spare.... It'll be fine....it won't do anything crazy and certainly won't flip the tow rig.... Don't try to take a 45 mph corner at 80 but then again you wouldn't do that towing your boat with ANY tires under it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I accidentally bought a radial tire for my pontoon trailer to replace a failed bias tire(my fault). I towed a few hundred miles with it but I will put it as my spare from now on.