Trailer Plug Disconnects

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
On my 2010 F150 Supercrew w/towing package, there are two receptacles for trailer wiring connections. One for the 7(?) pin round connector, and one for the standard 4-pin connector. I use the 4-pin for my boat trailer. The problem I keep having is that after driving about 10 miles or so, the connector comes loose. The spring on the connector cover is just putting too much pressure on the connector so that it eventually works itself loose.

Am I missing something obvious here? How do I keep this from working itself loose?

Attachments

• photo224157.jpg
    photo224157.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I replaced the stock connector on my trailer with a 7 pin round connector.

Purchased 7 pin connector molded to 6 ft. of heavy cable. Installed a water proof conduit box on the tongue to use as a junction box. No more adapters and it's a good secure connection.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The trailer side harness isn't too short and is being pulled out during turns, is it?

Try moving the wires around so the cover lays more on top of the connector. Pull the wires down or to the right or left. Hate to suggest this, but duct tape to hold the cover firmly on the 4-way connector.

You also might try using a 7 pin to 4 pin flat adapter. It's larger and with the 7 pins, the cover spring may not be able to dislodge it.

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the stock connector on my trailer with a 7 pin round connector.

Purchased 7 pin connector molded to 6 ft. of heavy cable. Installed a water proof conduit box on the tongue to use as a junction box. No more adapters and it's a good secure connection.

Any chance you can post a picture of this setup? Having trouble picturing how this looks/works

johnmsch

Seaman Apprentice
The trailer side harness isn't too short and is being pulled out during turns, is it?

Try moving the wires around so the cover lays more on top of the connector. Pull the wires down or to the right or left. Hate to suggest this, but duct tape to hold the cover firmly on the 4-way connector.

You also might try using a 7 pin to 4 pin flat adapter. It's larger and with the 7 pins, the cover spring may not be able to dislodge it.

Plenty of length on the harness, even when making sharp turns.

Tried everything I can think of regarding moving the wires up/down right/left, and duct tape isn't an option since it would defeat the purpose of the plug being easily removed from the receiver when not pulling the trailer.

Had a 7-4 pin adapter for my last truck which worked fine, but this just annoys the crap out of me that the design is so bad on the 4-pin that it will work loose after x amount of miles, especially on bumpy roads. I just can't believe I'm the only person having this issue, which is why I keep wondering if I'm missing something obvious. I had hoped that there was a way, when opening the cover, to "snap" it into place where it stays open until you release it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
After looking at the supplied picture, it is either a spring loaded cover or just rubber/plastic tension. I can't tell from the shot. However, If it is spring loaded, clip the spring out. If it is just the rubber/plastic tension, apply some heat from a hair drier or heat gun or even a blow torch (using caution of course) when in the open position and that will take the tension off the cover. So you can try those options and see if they solve your problem...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would pick up some good quality shrink wrap and put it around the plastic portion of 4 prong plug and get it good and tight, so that when you put into the socket on the truck to give you a good strong friction fit.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Drill and tap the side of the square box the 4 pin fits into. then use a small set screw to secure the plug. Sure it is a little more effort to unscrew the set screw but decide: Is that more trouble than constantly stopping to check or replace the plug?

OR, buy a 7 to 4 adapter and use the 7 pin socket.

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral
I would just get the 4 pin flat to 7 pin adapter and call it a day. My last truck only had the 7 pin round socket so I used the adapter on all my setups. Never had an issue.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I used to occasionally have this problem with my motorcycle, where vibration is a fact of life. I solved it using cable ties threaded between wires 2 and 3 on each plug where the wires exit the back. Since you need a temporary fix, use twist ties to do the same thing. But cable ties are very secure and cheap at the same time. When you're ready to separate, just cut the cable tie.

Attachments

• photo224327.jpg
    photo224327.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain
I think the problem is Not the cover but that the connector is too loose in the socket.
The cover is pushing from behind and helping keep it in longer.
If the plug can be installed and remover with two fingers, it is way too loose.

The connector on mine requires a full hand death grip and rocking it up and down a couple of times to get it apart.
There is no way to just grab it and pull it straight apart on the first try.

Try deforming the Female Socket connectors slightly to get more grip on the pins.
Careful use of a mini screwdriver will permit a little controlled mayhem.

Joelk

Cadet
If the problem is that the cover is pushing on the connector and causing it to dislodge, you may be able to put a small bungee on the cover to pull it out of the way.

If you cannot directly attach the bungee to the cover, you could drill a small hole in the the tab on the cover and put a cable tie through it, then attach the bungee to the cable tie.

Last edited: