Trailer Help - Adjusting to boat

digitish

Cadet
I just loaded my boat onto a used trailer & I think it fits okay but when trying to detatch from car it wants to tip up from the tongue. I think I need to pull the boat onto the trailer more. The problem there is the boat will pull past the rollers. Do I need to move the roller support up closer to the bow? Pics attached, sorry don't see how to rotate them here they were the right rotation to begin with.

Attachments

• photo224088.JPG
    photo224088.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224089.jpg
    photo224089.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
...then place the boat where the rear rollers are about 2" or more under the rear of the boat. Slide that winch post back and looks like you will have to lower the winch mount as well.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
...and if you need to move those rear rollers forward some it shouldn't be too hard (difficult to see how they are mounted with the sideways pictures)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep move the axle back and/or the last roller assembly forward, your choice ... You need positive tongue weight.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rotated the pics. I think the trailer is for a larger, higher boat. Along with what the others said, remove the bow stop double roller and move one of the rollers to right above the winch strap using the hole for mounting the double to the winch stand. That double bow roller setup is going to beat the bow to death. Adjust the winch mount down until the newly placed bow stop roller is just above the bow eye.

roller.jpgtong.jpg

digitish

Cadet
Thanks so much for the help/advice.

"That double bow roller setup is going to beat the bow to death." - What do you mean by this? If this one is adjusted will it be okay or do I need a different type of bow roller?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The bow rollers have an upper hole on the mount. Move to the upper hole and lower the whole winch assembly. It appears that you will need to lower it as far as possible but that is up to you to experiment to see where it will fit.. The rear rollers can not be moved unless you drill the frame so leave the boat where it is and slide the axle assembly backwards until you get positive tongue weight. Then move the bow stop rearward to contact the boat bow.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In addition to the suggested adjustments you may want to consider removing a leaf out of your springs on each side. Judging from the size of the boat and how the tire sits in that wheel well, your suspension is probably stiffer than it needs to be and the trailer will ride roughly. Depending on how much you trailer it may or may not be worth the effort.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
"That double bow roller setup is going to beat the bow to death." - What do you mean by this? If this one is adjusted will it be okay or do I need a different type of bow roller?

You can remove the double bow stop assembly that holds the two rollers on that winch mount and install one of those same rollers on the winch mount itself. It may work a little better with the hull you have. I don't think the double bow stop assembly will hurt anything once you lower the winch mount and move that winch post back but the double bow stop isn't necessary and if you go with the single bow stop roller you shouldn't have to move the winch mount down as far on the winch post as you will if you keep the double bow stop...

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
The Bow roller is Way too high.
You will need to get the upper roller Below the Rub Rail, but still Above the Bow eye.
The winch strap will be just touching the bottom of the upper roller when you get it correct.

While you are at it; That spring clip Carabiner on the Safety Cable may be too light for the load.
If the boat is over 1000# it may let you down when you need it the most.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What I'm saying about the double bow roller beating the bow to death is this - The way it's set up now the bow will be resting against the middle of the bracket. Bow will sitting on metal.