Water in wheel hubs.....?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, would it be fair to say that you now never have to add any grease?
Yep. I have not had to add any grease and the spring is compressed slightly.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe off subject a little, but if I'm not mistaken, Bearing Buddy actually makes rear seals that are a little smaller in the inside diameter to help seal the rear section. But I think you could also get such at the auto parts stores as well if you're experiencing a lot of grease exiting the rear seals.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I am generally very careful with my stuff and this past winter was one of the first that I didn't at least pull my caps and check the seals on my hubs. This spring trailering back from storage my bearings on the driver side destroyed themselves to the point where the races looked like they had been through a vitamix and the bearings were completely gone
The fender was the only thing holding the wheel on.

Had to replace the axle....

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Pony's example is why it is so important to double check your set up periodically to make sure everything is ok and nothing is amiss.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
A small trick that may work for you. While I was working in the food industry we would wash down electric motors and gear drives. These all had seals on the input and output shafts. Many times the seals would start to leak because the shaft had worn a groove into it. The seal housing like a hub there is normally a small amount of clearance between the seal and the housing as to where the seal is either all the way seated or installed flush with the outside of the housing.
Therefore what we would do is either seat the seal farther in or farther out to get the contact area off the worn groove. It works! Those motors were always running 24/7/365 at rpm's of a few hundred up to 1750. Also being in a food environment all those shafts had to be stainless steel.