Another old trailer rehab.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Started on the trailer that came under the Sea Nymph. Seems to be a mid 60's Gator tilt in the 14-16' range. Overall the condition isn't too bad as it's built with C channel instead of box tubing as most new ones are. There is the normal amount of surface rust and so far all of the hardware has come off pretty easily. There is one roller that has split and the bunk boards will need to be replaced as usual. Both tire look to be new!

So far the one thing I have learned is that I'm getting old! What should have been a few days project has already been going on for a week. I say this because I've done 2 others like this in the past. Right now I wish I had a sand blast pot as grinding is getting to be a literal pain in the back! So for now it's back to the grinding.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hang in there bonz_d. Yes I know exactly what you are talking about the getting old part. I too see myself taking longer to do what use to be easy and quick. And the recuperating time equally as long as well. But the mind is still bright and the can do is still there.

So post some trailer pictures and let us see what you're doing. I have a sand blaster, and while that seems like a viable option, it too has its drawbacks. Sand (or whatever media you use) gets into place on the body that it just shouldn't. :facepalm: And to keep your face protected gets hot and sweaty. So angle grinding with a 80 grit flapper wheels does a pretty good job with rust removal...BTDT. You can see my trailer rehab project from the link if you are interested. I actually set my trailer up just for my tri-hull boat with everything welded in place so it only fits my boat. And then I added side steps and new fenders and totally rewired with LED lights. I also changed out the tongue because the original was cracked. And added about two more feet in length while doing that. And of course I designed the new winch tower and spare tire holder as well. So everything is there if you want to view it... Waiting for your pictures... :eagerness:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks gm.
Yes I've seen your trailer job and it is very impressive. This was supposed to be a quick clean-up, paint and replace some old hardware so I could put that old RichLine on it and put it up for sale now that I have the Sea Nymph.. Was truly amazed though at how easy all the old hardware came off. Only had 1 bolt break and the 1 for the chains I had to cut. I've used blasters before, once on the job we rented a big IR to strip a truck load of pallet racking for a warehouse. Also once on the job we used one on a stainless steal machine frame that actually used dry ice for blasting. That thing was really cool to use.

The trailer that I'm working on can be seen here. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...e-topics/9956461-another-one-followed-me-home

I'll post up a few after I get it all primed and then after paint.

As for the getting old part. That's what keeps getting me in trouble. Thinking I can still do some of the things I used to do w/o any help. The mind still thinks it's 20. For now it's work a few hrs. rest an hr., Advil, then back at it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gm.
Yes I've seen your trailer job and it is very impressive. This was supposed to be a quick clean-up, paint and replace some old hardware so I could put that old RichLine on it and put it up for sale now that I have the Sea Nymph.. Was truly amazed though at how easy all the old hardware came off. Only had 1 bolt break and the 1 for the chains I had to cut. I've used blasters before, once on the job we rented a big IR to strip a truck load of pallet racking for a warehouse. Also once on the job we used one on a stainless steal machine frame that actually used dry ice for blasting. That thing was really cool to use.

The trailer that I'm working on can be seen here. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...e-topics/9956461-another-one-followed-me-home

I'll post up a few after I get it all primed and then after paint.

As for the getting old part. That's what keeps getting me in trouble. Thinking I can still do some of the things I used to do w/o any help. The mind still thinks it's 20. For now it's work a few hrs. rest an hr., Advil, then back at it.

bonz_d, I took a look at the trailer and personally I think it will look great after refurbishing it. You have to post the pictures. It is a requirement to post on these forums! Okay maybe not a requirement, but do post them. My life time motto is, listen and look at what everybody does and says because regardless what you may think, everybody does have ideas that you may never thought of before. And I have to say, that has held up absolutely true for me all these years... I'm watching. In fact I subscribe to your forum if that's okay? :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
You got it my friend.
How's your cold and project coming along? Been able to get back to it yet?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha bonz_d, thanks for asking. Seems we both are coming along pretty good. I still have the head pressure and in the mornings that semi-sore throat yet, but gaining strength and enthusiasm again. So hopefully in a day or so I will be posting some progress pictures... Odd how neither of us has ever come down with sinus infections/head cold/eye infections in the summer ever... Hope that isn't signs of things to continue now... :facepalm: Watch for some updates soon..I hope!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
And i am sitting here with a sore arm recovering from my spring house list and hoping in a week or two to do a few things at my slip and boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
And i am sitting here with a sore arm recovering from my spring house list and hoping in a week or two to do a few things at my slip and boat.

HA! I'm still recovering from 3 years of the daughter and 3 grandchildren living with us. Oh look gramma another surprise!
Ice that arm and drink with the other. It will heal in time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
HA! I'm still recovering from 3 years of the daughter and 3 grandchildren living with us. Oh look gramma another surprise!
Ice that arm and drink with the other. It will heal in time.

WOW bonz_d, I honestly know what you are talking about... But look for happy days and be thankful you still can... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well it's nothing special but here are a few after primer and 1st coat of paint. Also the paint I'm using. The FREE paint that I've mentioned in another topic.

Primer.

One coat of paint. It's called Silver Gray.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well there you go. Free paint and even a nice shade. Can't beat that... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I've used this paint on a couple other trailers and it seems to hold up pretty well. Sad part is that it takes forever to cure and completely harden.

Was thinking I might go with a black on the fenders, winch post, axle and all the other hardware.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've used this paint on a couple other trailers and it seems to hold up pretty well. Sad part is that it takes forever to cure and completely harden.

Was thinking I might go with a black on the fenders, winch post, axle and all the other hardware.

Uh oh, a two tone paint job. Ha go for it... I'll watch...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Had to take a break and spend a few days with family in from out of town but was back at it today.

Have the axle and springs painted along with most of the hardware with the axle bolted back on along with the tongue. Will post up pictures tomorrow.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well almost finished! Still need to cut new bunks, pick up new rollers, install new cotter pins in the roller shafts, straighten light brackets and install lights. But you can get the general drift of how it will look.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't see anything wrong with that. Looks good and ready to carry the boat to wherever you want to go... Good job... :thumb: :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks gm280,

Not to shabby for a 50 yr. old hunk of steel. Don't know if they show up in the pictures but there are some small bumps and dings that I couldn't get out but all the welds are intact and didn't find any stress cracks while grinding. Anyhow at least now all the brackets move like they are supposed to and the tilt is working better. There are also 3 holes to adjust the length of the tongue for the tilt. It was originally in the center hole which was a little elongated and sloppy so I moved it out to the longest position as this trailer was a bit short to begin with.

Looking it over again I now see a couple of spots that are going to need some touch-up paint but that will be an easy fix. I do like the way the color mix came out and I think I will repeat it on the trailer in the background that the Sea Nymph is sitting on.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bonz_d, I actually had a bullet hole in my trailer rehab. Seems somebody shot at it at one time before I bought it. I heated the area up and used a 3 pound hammer to see if I could flatten it out, but that didn't work. So I grinded it out and welded it back flush and grinded it smooth again... Whatever it takes. But metal is so much easier to work with then wood... Nice trailer you're finishing though...pat yourself on the back... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
For these sized boats I really do like the old Gator trailers. This is my 4th. They are just rugged little trailers is all I can say. As I recall the one you have is/was also a Gator. After all the mods you did to it, it is pure you

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I just sold this lil trailer for a grand total of $250.00. Would have gotten $300.00 for it but I found that it had an odd hub on it and couldn't find a dust cap to fit it so I discounted it to cover the cost of a new hub and bearings. The bearings that were in it looked new when I repacked them but I'd rather the buyer be safe. It will make a nice rowboat trailer.