Trailer Tug or Dolly Powered by a Drill

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am getting on towards 70 and had a back injury many years ago that has recently required surgery to improve (not cure for sure).
Moving my 14' boat, trailer and motors up a slight incline into the back yard where I am required to store the rig has been a problem lately for me.
I looked around and found this setup that you can make. I already have that same dolly that I purchased and a 1/2" drill I don't use much.
It might be a very cheap solution to my problems and perhaps it would be good for some others. Here is a video of what the guy made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvyU6KwptAA

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say that is very interesting. However, you may consider using a more permanent setup with a dedicated 12 volt motor instead of a drill. Buy a little 12 volt motor from a electronics part house and rig it to do the same thing with maybe a lawn mower battery. You never know, you could build something others would want as well... :thumb:

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I could, but I already have everything I need for this and the boat loaded is under 800# so it should work pretty good.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I purchased a little portable winch at Harbor freight for less than $60 bucks that works great for doing this kind of stuff. Same kind of winch they put on the front of ATV's

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I am lucky enough to have 1/2 acre so I have a small 8 HP tractor. I attached a ball on the back and voila' I move my small boat trailers. Since my driveway is on a slane, I would not attempt to move my 21 footer. If your boat is really that light, why not rig up a ball to a self propelled mower?---Nothing to fabricate and only one hole to drill.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, I have looked at many things including a golf cart, ATV or a riding lawn mower and such. Did not think of a mower. Not much grass here at 5000' in the mountains but maybe I could find one cheap somewhere.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy I live in the Mountains and I WISH I didn't have any grass! The deer are out there doing there best right now, but they just can't keep up with it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have one of these:
http://www.powercaster.com/Products.html
I own a PC-2. You can find them used every once and awhile.
They are expensive but worth their weight in gold moving my pontoon boat to the side of my house. They have tons of torque and move VERY slow so you don't get into trouble.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have one of these:
http://www.powercaster.com/Products.html
I own a PC-2. You can find them used every once and awhile.
They are expensive but worth their weight in gold moving my pontoon boat to the side of my house. They have tons of torque and move VERY slow so you don't get into trouble.

You would have to find a used one for sure, because new price is a little steep. But it does look like a nice setup. However, before I lay out a grand on one, I'd build one in my shop. I mean I would have more in labor alone then the ready made unit could ever cost.... :facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I mean I would have more in labor alone then the ready made unit could ever cost.... :facepalm:
So...why wouldn't you buy a ready made one if you would have that much in labor? I guess I miss your point.

By the way, the motor/gear box assembly is sold at Grainger for around $350 or at least it used to be.

Last edited:

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
I opted for a front-mount receiver hitch for about $120 because I have the garage space to store yet another large tool. Depending on your tow vehicle, typical installation does not require any drilling.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
My problem with the front mount receiver was that the neighbor has a tree that overhangs my property just a bit and my Yukon is high enough to destroy the tree branches going by it.
I looked around and found an older Power Caster PC1 for sale locally for $300 and just picked it up. I would like to speed it up a bit as it's only got a 112# load on the tongue and less than 1000# total load with my boat/trailer combo but I will have to do some figuring on a larger drive gear for the motor I guess. This is really slow which is safe for the 5000# rated load that it will never see for my needs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You won't be able to speed it up by the gear box since it is a fixed gear reduction. Only way would be by changing the sprocket sizes for the chain.

$300 is a great price for that. You couldn't make one for the price of the parts.