Successful design & fabrication of a custom dual tire trailer jack for soft surfaces

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Successful design & fabrication of a custom dual tire trailer jack for soft surfaces

My ski boat stores in a boathouse and then gets winched in and out of the boathouse on a trailer across a beach and into the water. The beach is gravelly and sandy and when the lake recedes over the summer, there starts to be a lot of soft clay under that sandy layer and the ground surface gets pretty soft underneath. There are also places where the gravel and sand is drifted up so the ground surface is pretty soft there too.

For that reason, I needed to have a good sized pneumatic tire caster under the tongue jack but almost all tongue jacks with swivel casters come with single or double narrow hard rubber casters, They're great for hard surfaces but suck huge on soft ground because they just sink in. I looked at the products made by the major trailer jack manufacturers and much to my surprise, no one seems to make one like what I wanted so I got on the Google and managed to find a really short YouTube video showing a custom made dual tire trailer jack. It was exactly what I wanted! The link is provided below.

​Based on that idea, I sketched up a set of plans, purchased a swivel jack to be converted, a pair of 12 inch pneumatic wheels and all the other parts and materials that I'd need to build it. I then found a semi-retired welder/fabricator on Kijiji who had all the equipment and skills to build the project for me. In addition to the trailer jack and the two pneumatic tires, the materials needed were as follows:

a length of 3" x 3/16" steel strapping,;
a length of 5/8" diameter cold rolled steel rod (for the axle);
a length of 7/8" o.d. x 5/8" i.d. cold rolled seamless tubing (for the axle guide tube);
2 5/8" castle nuts;
2 big 5/8" i.d. steel flat washers; and
2 cotter pins.

A week later this is what I got back. I'm super stoked about it. It's exactly what I wanted with a couple of minor improvements that the welder thought up. I'm really pleased with it. I reckon it will glide really easily across the beach and allow the boat and trailer to go across even the softest spots without sinking into the clay. All that's left to do is paint it up nice so it won't rust too bad.

20150620_163321_zps4f3tz3nv.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163411_zpstgz8k6hj.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163252_zpsrp2rwpg6.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163241_zpsj2xhkcf9.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163232_zps0u9nb40d.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163125_zpsancbg4tf.jpg
[/URL]

20150620_163435_zpsl3cicig9.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some technical details:

I figured that the axle rod would quickly seize up inside the axle guide tube since they are both made of uncoated cold rolled steel and the clearance between the axle rod and the inner surface of the guide tube was so tight so I just had him fuse the rod and guide tube together. He did that by drilling a hole right in the center of the axle tube and zapping a quick spot weld in there. You can see where he did that in the 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures.

He also uses some of the extra guide tube to make the axle bushings that are between the castle nut and the hub washer as shown in the last photo in the series. He threaded the axle ends so that the castle nut could be threaded on.

The only catch with this thing is that it can't be pivoted up 90 degrees and locked into place for towing. If I ever need to tow the boat and trailer behind a vehicle, I'll just take this jack off and put on the jack that came with the trailer. This one can only be used for when the boat is being stored in the boathouse and is being winched in and out of the lake from the boathouse.

This thing should work as slick as anything and I can't wait to try it out.

I hope posting this information will be of help to others who might be needing something similar for their boat trailer and can't find what they need available on the market.

I honestly don't know why one of the trailer jack companies doesn't offer something like this. Maybe there's just not enough demand...

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'll BET that if you swivel it just right so that one tire ends up above and one below the tongue that you CAN swivel it up and lock it.....

swing it up till a tire touches and then grab the other tire and push it up and in toward the tongue

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty close reinvention of this kit. With rhis one you just pull the pin and toss the wheels in the truck.

http://www.crofttrailer.com/croft-pneumatic-wheel-kit/

You're right, it is pretty similar and the unit you provided a link to might of been a good option for me if I had seen that before I went down this road. My unit will be a lot stronger though as it is welded right to the jack and not just bolted on but that one might have done the job for me.

On second thought, however, the unit I built has much taller and wider tires and will better for going over rocks and cobbles which is another concern for me. With that in mind, I think I would have still opted to go the way I went even if I had known of the Croft Trailer wheel kit at the time. For other people though, that Croft trailer kit may be just what they need and at a pretty reasonable price.

Last edited:

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have now used my modified tongue jack for winching my boat out of the lake and into my boathouse. This year, the lake was at or at near record low levels so the lake had dropped down to where a clay band exists so I the trailer had to travel across a wide area where the surface cobbles were pretty big and the ground beneath was quite soft. Further up the beach, towards the boathouse, the ground got firmer, but there were bands where there were deep "drifts" of built up sand and gravel which were also soft and required the big tires to get over without sinking.

At any rate, I am happy to report the modified tongue jack performed excellently. The boat/trailer was easy to steer when being winched up the beach and the big tires on the tongue jack allowed the boat/trailer to be winched over and through anything without sinking in the soft clay or getting hung up on any of the big rocks/cobbles that it had to go over.

I have some pretty good plans for building this unit if anyone is interested. It's a pdf. If anyone is interested, I can try to make that file available so others could have one of these made for their boat trailer.

NAT1VE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Getting the tire's foam filled, would probably help too. Never have to worry about flats again.