Boat trailer paint

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got the newly acquired trailer sanded down; and going to paint it after it quits raining. Any suggestions on paint or brands for a trailer? I have used Rustoleum and TSC Majic before; and have good results with both. Just wondering how they would last after being dunked in salt water. Any suggestions?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Can't say how it will withstand saltwater but I would think either should handle it OK.
I use a Rustoeum product called DTM which is not available to the general public thru a Retail store. I've had good results with it and am now working on my 4th trailer with it.

tpenfield

Staff member
I used a base coat/primer called ZRC (zinc rich coating) that was pretty good. Then POR15 is very tough paint . . . Probably better than Rustoleum for a trailer application.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Oh the heart break of trailer psoriasis.......

Been there, done that. The trailer was sandblaster and painted with a 2 part, commercial polyurethane paint.

In the end, saltwater and painted trailers don't play well to together. Every little chip/ding blistered and peeled in no time.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The answer to your question comes with many options as there are boaters it seems. I too refurbished a trailer and I used total PPG paints which are the same paints body shops use for auto repairs. But it works great and is a tuff finish impervious to oils, gas, or chemicals of most any type. I used PPG primer and then color coat, stripping and top coats of clear to give it that nice shiny look. You can look at my results from the link below and see how that worked out. But honestly, there are so many quality finishes out there that it is hard to tell if one is much better then another. The only thing I can testify too is your finish is directly proportional to the amount of prep work you give it. Do the prep work great and the finish will look and last for a long time. If you can feel or see any imperfections in the primer coat, it will show in the finish coat for certain! JMHO!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The advantage I have is that I get the paint for FREE. Wife works for a distributor and when they get damaged cans they can't return them to Rustoeum so they get sent to a recycler or given to employees. Just missed 2 gal. of fire hydrant red.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The advantage I have is that I get the paint for FREE. Wife works for a distributor and when they get damaged cans they can't return them to Rustoeum so they get sent to a recycler or given to employees. Just missed 2 gal. of fire hydrant red.

bon_z that sound great, but I'd hate to know that my next boat color was determined on which paint can color was damaged to finish up my project. Heck it could be purple colored... :noidea: :eek:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I hear ya which is why I've only used it on trailers. Don't know that I'd try and use it on a boat. The real surprise id that this paint is a water based acrylic yet still seems to be quite durable..

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the replies Guys! I know its like a Ford/Chevy question; but all the input helps. GM is right; prep work is the most important thing.
The old paint is off after two weeks of grinding and sanding. Hope to get a coat of primer (PPG) on next week. The trailer has been taking up her half of the garage; and she wants it back! Bonz; free paint would be nice; haven't seen any multi colored trailers. Our weather is starting to get better; hopefully I can get back to fishing. Thanks again for all the replies.

On another note; I want to extend my deepest apology to all Forum members who live North of Texas. We are sending you something that you
might not want; need; or have room for .It is probably there by now. It is in the form of very crappy weather. We got hammered Memorial Day; just went
through another one named Bill. The one thing we do down here is share.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yeah this stuff seems to work well for trailers, metal cabinets and such but I really don't think I'd try it on a boat.

I'm in the process of redoing a trailer right now also. It's a 1960's Gator with original paint. I can relate to the grinding ,sanding and wire brushing. Aside from braking loose all the old hardware!

sublauxation

Lieutenant
8 years ago I had mine plasted and done with white PPG. It looked great, for about a year. 4 years ago I sanded down the bad spots, primed it and shot the whole thing with a bornzish colored Rustoleum. The whole trailer took about 5 cans. It lasted about a year but the rust and bronze paint are about the same color so from 15 feet away it sill looks great.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Been a while; can give a update on the progress. Not good. Got some PPG exterior paint; applied two coats with a brush; (did light sand between coats). Sat in the garage two days to dry. Pulled it out of the garage to let the Sun bake it. Went outside the next morning; and the trailer looked like splotches of brown had bleed through the paint all over. It looks like rust; but trust me; this trailer was rust free; was wiped down with thinner and a tack rag. The stuff will not wipe off on your hand or with a rag. The paint is smooth; but stained. I applied a third coat and the stain looks like it is trying to cover; But? I talked to the paint guy; (with pictures). He doesn't know; and said I might have to strip it. Anybody got a clue? Am going to contact PPG and see what they say. I have a contact that helped me on some stripping an outboard.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
B; it is a water base external paint made by PPG that says it will work on all exterior surfaces; says it will work on wood; metal; and most porous surfaces.
Contacted PPG Rep. He say it was a chemical reaction. (N #@%#). He suggested that I wipe the entire trailer down with denatured alcohol; then repaint. I did; it did cover the stain; but I haven't put it outside again. Will Wednesday morning. The Rep wants me to keep him updated; he talks and sounds like he is really concerned. We'll see.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You still need a primer! If you painted over bare metal, that is your issue.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Update!! Applied one more coat of that primer (WB); dried inside two days; put outside three; no bleed thru. Decided on Majic TTI Light Ford Gray. First coat tomorrow. Second coat probably Sunday (If it doesn't rain).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I found the best paint on a trailer used in salt water was Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It is oil based, has that stinky fish oil that encapsulates any rust and seals the steel pretty good. It is soft and rust colored, so you need to overcoat or inspect the paint for new rust.

Of course, galvanized trailers in salt water are soooooo much better.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Got the first coat on; let it dry inside the garage; put it outside in the Sun to bake. It did in our 90+ heat. The paint leveled out better than I thought considering I used a brush. Plan on using 320W/D to cut the shine before the second coat. My buddy said it is overkill for a backup trailer; but I've got less than $200 (not including $.05 per hr labor; I work cheap) invested in this project and I can still sell it. Will start second coat this week.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, you pay yourself 5 cents per hour for your labor....I will have to ask the Admiral for a raise.....