Super Lube Axle Grease Caps 2.33" Rubber grommet

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have searched all over the internet including at Tie Down Engineering and called Bass Pro, Tracker dealers and even RV dealers and I still cannot find the right sized dust/grease cap with the removable rubber plug in the end of the cap. The plug is so I can remove it and grease the Super Lube Spindle on my 2006 Tracker Marine Tahoe Trailer. Single axle with the 3/4 ton axle. Does anyone on here know where I might find a pair of these caps?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Why not just put a pair of bearing buddies on it? Champion Trailer carries them in that size, for $21.95 in Stainless, you might check with iboats, they might carry them also.

http://www.championtrailers.com/2-33...ring-buddy-pr/

I wouldn't mess with something I can't find parts for, but that is just me, there have been so many things that have come down the line over the years, then you can't find parts for them. Heck, I have a 18 hp motor I am about ready to take to the landfill because I can't get parts for it.

Last edited:

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use Bearing Buddies, then the Super Lube axle would not be servicable. The Super Lube Axle is the best thing since sliced bread. They are not just coming down the line. I think they have been around for decades. Mine work great but the previous owner must have pulled the caps off as he didn't understand the Super Lube Axles. They still make them in 1.98", 2.44" but I can find them in 2.33". I can find plenty of dust caps in 2.33". Bearing Buddies would have to be pulled off every time to properly grease the Super Lube Axles. Bearing Buddies also will hold too much pressure against the grease seal inside if you don't know who to use them. I have regular domed 2.33" dust caps but would prefer to be able to pull the rubber cap off to grease the axles instead of having to pull the entire cap. I checked iBoats.

Even Champion carries the type I'm looking for just not the 2.33" size

http://www.championtrailers.com/2-4...-plug/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

I have a 1954 Evenrude Fleetwin 7.5 HP that I can still get parts for. Send me that 18HP motor when you get ready to throw it away.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Bonus, you might check through the Tohatsu forum to see how difficult it is to find parts for many of their motors, I have 4 50's era rudes and johnsons, I can find parts for, 3 60's era Mercury's and a couple of 70's engines, that I can find every single part I need, but when tohatsu change things, there are no more parts available unless you want to buy used, problem is, buying used carb parts normally does not work out so well.

Well if the cap is not available anylonger, I would find me a machine shop to see if they can shrink or compress it that .11 to fit your axle. I know the machine shop my Dad works at, has done work like that before.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I found a bunch of regular 2.33 without the rubber insert...just solid.

I have 2 trailers. One with ez-lube and one with Bearing Buddys. The one with the EZ-lube is the one that got water in it and ruined the bearings.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
I have searched all over the internet including at Tie Down Engineering and called Bass Pro, Tracker dealers and even RV dealers and I still cannot find the right sized dust/grease cap with the removable rubber plug in the end of the cap. The plug is so I can remove it and grease the Super Lube Spindle on my 2006 Tracker Marine Tahoe Trailer. Single axle with the 3/4 ton axle. Does anyone on here know where I might find a pair of these caps?

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have Bass Pro checking inside their system for stock laying around in other stores. The eastern marine is exactly what I need but the two parts are less than $4 but shipping is over $18. Kinda Cost prohibitive. I can drill the two caps I have from NAPA if I can't find what I need. I would prefer to find the part like Eastern marine in stock at one of the stores I frequent to save shipping. At least eastern marine gives me the part number to start hunting a different direction.

Let me know if you see them anywhere else.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending where you are, not everyone carries UFP products. Pacific Trailer, Eastern Marine, Shadow Trailers, nuera trailer parts, etc all carry UFP parts, however Eastern Marine had the largest selection and lowest cost on items that I needed. I just ordered a pile of UFP items from Eastern Marine to repair my brakes and hubs after I checked to see that iBoats did not carry them.

However if all you need are the two caps, the $18 in shipping can be a bit to swallow. with that in mind a hole saw and a file on a standard cap.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Or just put on a standard cap and have some spare caps if you bend one taking it off. The rubber plugs seem to be a good source of water intrusion as they age to me.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
....... The rubber plugs seem to be a good source of water intrusion as they age to me.

​I read somewhere that you can put a small amount of silicone around the rubber plug each time you re-install it and that helps with the seal.

Bass Pro just found 11 caps and plugs in stock and is shipping a pair to my local BPS. $3.74 plus tax each with plugs. If they are the correct ones I may get them to send me another pair to put on the shelf just in case.

I like how the Super Lube hubs pushes the old grease out the front of the axle when you grease the hub but I am leary of doing it on a cold axle. I try to re-grease when the axle is warm from use. So far it works great and plenty of Red and Tacky in the hubs now.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like how the Super Lube hubs pushes the old grease out the front of the axle when you grease the hub but I am leary of doing it on a cold axle. I try to re-grease when the axle is warm from use. So far it works great and plenty of Red and Tacky in the hubs now.
Yeah, I wouldn't be too trusting how that really works. I tried that for fun when I bought my trailer. There was a lot of old water contaminated grease in and around the inner bearing after I took the wheel off just to see how well it worked. Yes, I spun the wheel while I was pumping in the grease. Nothing beats taking the wheel off and doing it the old fashioned way. Then you can pump the grease in to make sure the hub is full.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Do you let your axles/hubs cool down before launching? Hot axles is the biggest cause of water intrusion when dunked in cool water

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I wouldn't be too trusting how that really works. I tried that for fun when I bought my trailer. There was a lot of old water contaminated grease in and around the inner bearing after I took the wheel off just to see how well it worked. Yes, I spun the wheel while I was pumping in the grease. Nothing beats taking the wheel off and doing it the old fashioned way. Then you can pump the grease in to make sure the hub is full.

I took one of my hubs off last weekend as I heard something grinding when backing up. I thought it would be filthy inside the hub but it was not super dirty. I did have a little water come out the front when I pulled the hub but only about a teaspoon full. It was not mixed with the grease. I did have to pull the hub as the inside grease seal was very tight on the spindle. Broken brake spring was the culprit. The bearings were not rusty nor dirty. I did wash the hub and bearing out completely and started over with all new red and Tacky.

I went over to the other side and pumped new red and tacky into that hub until old grease started coming passed the front D washer. It was the same old dark axle grease that one would normally see in a hub. It is full of red and tacky now. It worked pretty good from my standpoint. I think the secret is to not wait until the old grease becomes caked grease but it still needs to be very pliable.

I have not had grease caps on my boat on one side since I bought it last year. It has been dunked many times without said caps and no major water intrusion to speak of thus far. That's why I am trying to get the correct OEM caps to try to seal it off as best I can and still have serviceable hubs.

Taking the Hub off and washing it completely out is the best thing to do if you have time every year to service your hubs. I would love to service mine like that each year and may do so. Being able to pump the hub full to push out any water that may have infused itself into the grease is also good to be able to do in between complete hub services.

Last edited:

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you let your axles/hubs cool down before launching? Hot axles is the biggest cause of water intrusion when dunked in cool water

I agree but mine do not get very hot. I can wrap my hand around the hub. It feels like a warm rubber tires.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have not had grease caps on my boat on one side since I bought it last year. It has been dunked many times without said caps and no major water intrusion to speak of thus far.
Please tell me you are going to take that hub apart and completely clean/inspect the bearings.

robert graham

Admiral
I have the Super Lube hubs withe the rubber end caps and the zerk in the center of the shaft....whenever I launch/dunk the trailer I remove end caps and add 2 strokes of grease to zerk to expel any water from hub. The rubber plugs seemed to crack/deteriorate/maybe leak, so several years ago I purchased some neoprene Bearing Buddy Bras to go over the hub caps to protect rubber caps from UV/cracking/leaking and as a double water seal....works great so far!

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please tell me you are going to take that hub apart and completely clean/inspect the bearings.
I did tell you that already and found only a teaspoon full of water in the hub. No dirty grease and the bearings were not rusty or deteriorated in any shape form or fashion. The spindle was in great shape as well. It is now full of Red and Tacky grease. I have new grease seals on the way nest week and also have new hub caps for the wheels. Will hit the Tombigbee River tomorrow for a little relaxation after church.