Can you help me identify this 8 wheel single axle boat trailer?

ipokesnails

Cadet
I acquired this trailer recently.

I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me find out some more information about it. The guy I got the trailer from claims to have transported a 30ft boat on it just 6 months ago.

A friend has suggested maybe it had some kind of industrial use, as we live in a logging town on the coast.
I've seen trailers with similar axles for ATVs, but nothing with duallies.
Another thinks it's some mickey mouse thing pieced together by someone.

Any ideas?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard. what you have there is a custom built trailer of which I have never seen prior. it looks like maybe a rig to move a boat house.

ipokesnails

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response!

Do you think transporting a 21' fiberglass cabin cruiser on this would be safe, without any suspension? Assuming the brakes and structural integrity are ok.
Or whether the trailer would even be legal and insurable? (British Columbia)

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have actually seen trailers like that on the Oregon and Washington coast, they were using them for launching boats off the beach. They were all custom made for the specific boats they carried, I have never seen a commercially built one, everything I have seen was a custom deal, normally made out of parts the guys had around there place.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the quick response!

Do you think transporting a 21' fiberglass cabin cruiser on this would be safe, without any suspension? Assuming the brakes and structural integrity are ok.
Or whether the trailer would even be legal and insurable? (British Columbia)

:welcome: to iboats

Never seen one, but anything can be made safe to carry your 21 footer, the issue I think will be what will it take to make it street legal in your province. Either way your going to need to do a lot of work to add bunks/rollers and other safety equipment. Appears to have hydraulic brakes but I don't see the actuator, was probably removed. May have used electric over hydraulic and would also need the controller in the truck. Oh and don't forget it needs 8 new tires

I wouldn't do it for a boat your size, just look for a tandem

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That style of trailer suspension is commonly called multi max.

I had an 89 econoline backhoe pro pintle hitch trailer like that except that it had leaf springs.... That is not a single axle trailer tho, it is a 4 axle trailer....

As it is currently set up it is totally inappropriate for your boat .....

If you intend to move more than a mile or more than 15 mph then all you have that you MAY be able to use is the frame.... Remove the suspension and install springs and axle(s) that are rated correctly for your intended load.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
For what you are probably going to have to spend, as opposed to finding a nice used dual axle trailer set up for your boat, I would say, find another trailer, it is going to be easier and probably work out better for you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The thing has 8 wheel brakes too. Do you have any idea how much it weighs?

If it was me I'd be looking for another trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
my trailer was rated for 12 tons FWIW

Picture_0193.jpg

Picture_0155.jpg

ipokesnails

Cadet
Thanks again for the responses everyone!

The condition of the trailer is definitely in question..
However if the brakes were functional and the trailer had rollers/bunks, a winch and whatnot, would that style of axle be viable to transport a boat? Specifically because it doesn't have any suspension.

All hypothetical, of course. I'm not going to spend money on this, it's just something to play around with.
I'll likely just use it to haul junk around.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It would make a great flatbed, and you probably could actually haul cars on it, but I would be hesitant to put the money in it to haul a boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Again, without suspension I would not haul with it over 15 mph

It will beat your boat to death.... Ever ride a skateboard? That's how this trailer will ride.

If you need to move something very heavy a short distance OR need to move across very soft ground a short distance at low speed it will work... If you plan to hit the highway forget it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Even as a flat bed it would ONLY be usable for LOW speed short trips... IE <15 mph.

No springs = NOT for highway use.

Last edited:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
my trailer was rated for 12 tons FWIW

I'm betting your trailer didn't come from Billy Bob's Garage and Backyard Tatoo Parlor ... :lol:

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've seen a similar (not exactly) set up at the dock near a major repair facility. It had dual wheels the same way this one does and it had bunks that tilt and slide to that it could be maneuvered into different positions. They use is to haul out boats that are really to small to "need" (I suppose you could crane anything) a crane or if they want to take it to the other side of the island where they have another small yard, only about a mile or two. Probably not the best thing for going down the highway as is does not have a suspension system and will most certainly be unstable and rough on your hull. That said, I have seen some boats around 38 feet come out of the water with that thing!

NYBo

Admiral
I think I saw that trailer in a Nissan Rogue commercial.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's a yard trailer.... At 5 mph the axles will handle more than the tires.

Nothing on this trailer is about "rating" it's a slide that huge boat on and creep to the storage lot n hope nothing breaks kinda trailer.... Your best bet is try to find a boat yard to buy it or better yet trade you a trailer that will actually fit your needs.

Last edited: