Trailer wheel replacement

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I have a 1979 tandem axel trailer that I refinushed last year and now I want to replace the rims on it. The tires that are currently on it say that they are 8.75 x 16.5 tires. What size rims can I used??

NYBo

Admiral
I was thinking I would just reuse the tires. The treads still real nice.

Then you need 16.5" rims, not too common. Are there date codes on the tires? I would guess that the tires are due for replacement anyway, and you would be better off with a more common size rim with tires of the proper weight capacity.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
^this.... 16.5 tires started disappearing over 20 years ago... Just buy some pre mounted tires n rims n step into modern times lol

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Do the current rims have five or six lug holes? If you have six bolt wheels you need six bolt wheels regardless what size tires you have. Even then, make sure the bolt circle is matches your hubs..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Your tires may look like years of tread left, but they are probably dry rotting on the rims. And if you look real close, you will probably see cracks and such. So determine the bolt pattern of your hubs and buy wheels and tires to fit and bolt them on and happy trailering again... Simple and probably the most cost efficient as well... JMHO!