Thoughts of a trailer mod.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
As some of you know I came upon a little 14' rowboat that I've been working on and have had the opportunity to finally use it. Boat's coming along nicely but the trailer needs help or maybe just I do.

The problem is this as always for me. The place that I launch from is very shallow and flat and when I say shallow I mean really shallow. 20' out into the water and it's not even knee deep.

When we went and launched this boat for the 1st time I had the trailer backed in to were the truck tires were at the waters edge and the prop on the engine still wasn't even into the water yet! To get it back on the trailer we had to unhitch from the ball, drop the back of the trailer and winch it back on.

So I was just thinking how hard would it be to modify this trailer into a tilt bed? The boat with the engine on it and most of the gear with it is probably about 500lbs.
The trailer is a very old one from most likely the 1950's and looks like some of the 1st old Gator designs or the old TeeNee, it has a round tube as the main beam from the receiver to the end with the 1st roller. There is then a small square C channel frame that the axle and springs mount to along with the bunks.

I'll try and post up some pictures as soon as it stops raining and I can get the boat off of it. So let's hear your thoughts!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The old Gator under my '64 Tinny has crappy spindles that don't seal against the inside bearing seals. Right from the beginning I resolved that I won't ever dunk the axle under water. Thus, when I launch and retreive the keel at the stern is a good foot above the water.

Full keel rollers and roller bunks. Even if the ramp is nearly horizontal she goes on and off easy. The whole rig is maybe 300 lbs, so that contributes to the ease as well.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Jim I understand exactly what you are saying but this thing is really old school. I just don't know how to describe it. The center beam extends way past the spring frame, there are only 3 keel rollers and the bunks are so that they do not extend as far as the end of the trailer..

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Did you ever get any pics of it?

When I bought this boat it was on a '52 trailer.

At the same time I bought the boat I bought this from the guy also

I used the tongue from the '52 on it and while I just through bolted it front and rear, it could have very easily been done to be a tilt trailer.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So when you say 52' you actually mean '52 then?

Yeah pics are pretty much a must here.... Without them we are limited in how much help we can provide.

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I "lowered" a trailer for my step-son's 14' McKee by replacing the 13" wheels/tires with D load rated 8" wheels/tires. It made a substantial difference.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well I think I have a solution. Came across a small Gator tilt trailer that I'm going to look at in the morning. They want $25.00 for it but I have to take the old glass rowboat with it. The trailer I have already it has 8" tires on it and still sits pretty high. Will post pictures tomorrow I promise.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry, still no pictures. Bad day so far. Started at 4:30 am when the wife woke be because the dog got out of the fence. Then had to go for a blood draw at 7:30. Later when I arrived at the trailer it was buried almost to the axle from sitting, not only were the tires flat but they are shot. When I pulled it from the holes one tire completely shredded. Rest of the trailer looks pretty good. Boat is complete junk. But for $25.00 what else can I ask for?

For now I need a nap. Will pick up 2 tires in the morning then hopefully will have pictures to post tomorrow.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bonz - This is going to be a long story if you keep taking naps. :eek: LOL I have that problem, too.

Does the 25 Buck trailer sit lower than yours? I mean after you pulled it outta the mud.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Some times naps are good. Between getting woke up to chase a 3 year old Husky at 5am and being fasting for the blood test since 7pm I was beat!

This replacement trailer sits about the same height as the old one accept this one tilts. I've owned another one just like this one and it works very well in shallow water. Another nice thing about these is that they were built using C channel frames instead of tubing like modern trailers so it's easy to check for rust.

Also while I was there today I pulled a grease cap and the grease looked like it had just been replaced. Was still bright clean blue so that's a plus.

Now thinking about it I don't recall the tire size other than they are 8" wheels. The local Wallyworld has both the 480 x 8 and the 5.70 x 8 either will work I just think the smaller ones will sit to low. So after 2 new tires I'll have $125.00 into it off the bat which still isn't too awful bad. Also the lights and wires look very good so maybe I won't have to replace those.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
As promised here are the pictures. The red boat is the one the I need the trailer for. As it sits it is just too high to get on and off at this shallow ramp I use. The Brown one is the one I just picked up for that $25.00 plus 2 new tires. How do you all like that boat?!!!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Update today. Have the boat switched over to the tilt trailer. Still have to rebuild and reset the bunks, keel rollers and winch stand.

The old trailer might work well for someone with a 12" to 14" rowboat or jon boat. Might even work out for a PWC. If it would have worked where I launch I would have kept it and made repairs because it and the boat were light enough I probably could have pulled it to the end of the road here with my lawn tractor!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I think they should have paid you to be seen pulling that boat let alone disposing of it. lol

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Come Monday it will all right, come Monday I'll be fishin at night!...... My Best Jimmy Buffett.

Aint she a beauty? Before dumpin it back of the garage I knocked the wood deck out of the bow and that wood center seat. Had to, it was too heavy to move with it in there. But looked over the rest of that hull and actually it might be salvageable. No holes or stress cracks anywhere on it! So I might just hold on to it for a while and see what comes after I finish My Alumacraft.

Got the winch post and dolly wheel positioned this afternoon and the red boat looks like it fits pretty good. Had to grind the weld off the tongue and bed so it will tilt again and that also seams to be working well now.