Lost Bearing Buddy - Replaced but Question

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I have a 1997 Dual Axle Eagle Trailer w/ surge brakes in the rear. Apparently between my mothers house and our cottage, I somehow lost a bearing buddy. Maybe last year I filled it with too much grease and it was pressurized and came off....who knows.

My questions is, I did use my boat this past weekend, and dipped the trailer in the water twice (once to put in the boat, once to take out the boat). Since I have my replacement buddy bearing, do I necessarily need to take out the bearings and repack in that wheel? Seems like overkill if it was only dipped in the water once. I can understand if I had been doing it several times. There is still plenty of grease inside the hub, I was just planning on slapping the buddy bearing on and refilling with grease (careful not to overfill this time). I can't see it corroding by just dipping it in the water once time, but I could be wrong. I don't trailer the boat that much (just trailer to my boat launch which is literally 2 cottages away), which is the reason I wouldn't think I'd have to inspect and/or repack.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If there is no dirt in it and it still looks clean I wouldn't worry about it, I would put the new one on, squirt some new grease in there and double check to make sure everything is ok before each time that I move it. JMHO, now of course others will have different takes on it.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MTboat,

Appreciate the response! That is my opinion also, but of course the same reason I'm asking for other opinions. Does look clean and full of grease in there as well. I will also jack the trailer up and move the tire back and forth, just to make sure there is no play and/or nasty noises. I highly doubt the new bearing would rust that fast after only using the trailer once.........but again, guess I could be wrong.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As long as it is embedded in grease a 1 time exposure will not normally cause problems. I have seen more condensation cause by heat in them when I have pulled them apart when working at my buddies RV shop. Like I said, if it is a one time exposure and still full of grease, it will be fine, but it is always smart to make sure everything is still tight.

robert graham

Admiral
If Bearing Buddies are slightly loose, maybe install, clean area with solvent and wrap with some electrical tape or similar to prevent future loss?....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have lost a few over the years, and the way they build them, it seems as if they will loosen up over time, it seems the metal they make them out of will compress somewhat after being installed and subject to the vibrations of towing for a while.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Two issues come to mind reading the comment and replies. First, it always is a judgment call when we can't actually be there and/or see your situation. So whatever YOU think is good, is good. After all it is your trailer... The second issues is, if your bearing bubby falls off, it could have been the wrong size or a loose fitting setup. There are ways to solve that with just a little effort. Take a nail set or center punch and apply a few punches along the inside of the dust cover or bearing buddy mating surface on the hub. It raises the metal just a little and help keep the covers on. And one other thing, (that actually is three things isn't it :facepalm:), when pumping grease into any bearing buddy type setup, stop pumping when the center section starts to move out. They are filled properly at that time... JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is never the grease pressure that blows these off. It's bad hubs that are machined with too big of an opening. Bearing Buddys will release the grease if the pressure get's too high. You will blow out the rear seals way before the pressure blows the bearing buddy off.

I had problems losing Bearing Buddys on my Tie-Down disc brake hubs. When I switch to Kodiak hubs, the bearing buddy problem went away.

Last edited:

mfkadz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As long as there was plenty of water resistant grease and the bearings were not exposed directly. I would not repack.

I almost lost one myself. They seem to be cut just a little loose. I roll my own smokes. I took a rolling paper and ran it long ways around the BB. (It don't go all the way around). Then I slid the BB back on and I have not had a problem since.

mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would definitely repack. May only be a tiny amount of water still in there but it is mixed with the grease and it will cause the bearings to corrode. Takes less than 20 minutes. Not even a question!

Fed

Commander
just trailer to my boat launch which is literally 2 cottages away
I'd risk it considering the tow distance.
If the hub was full (as it should be) then any water should be on the outside anyway, give it a wipe with a paper towel, refit the BB & keep it topped up with grease.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well you now have the opinions of all of us in the peanut gallery, it is up to you to decide, how you wish to proceed!

:lol:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I'm with Redneck: Buy a new boat and trailer! Seriously though, you can take a chance and maybe everything will be alright. Even if you do have bearing problems in the future it will be close to home and no big deal. But then, on the other hand, what if you decide to take a trip with the boat? It may be a bit of--as you said--overkill and may take a little time you want for something else BUT you can never go wrong by cleaning and repacking. I never heard of bearings that became pitted or rusted because they were repacked.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I didn't specify about repacking the bearings or not. But I know I would most certainly remove, wash and clean the entire hub and bearings and repack them. I mean it isn't difficult, or hard to do and what does a hand full of grease actually cost? But that is part of my OCD type thinking as well. Anything to make further trips uneventful is a plus in my book. A little time repacking bearings on your time schedule and the mere safety of your home/shop/garage, keeps from doing that job along side the road with vehicles whizzing by barely missing you as you work on the trailer... JMHO!

Maclin

Admiral
The hardest part of my repacking job is getting the bearing buddies off :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would definitely repack. May only be a tiny amount of water still in there but it is mixed with the grease and it will cause the bearings to corrode. Takes less than 20 minutes. Not even a question!

What Bruce said................. Take 20 mins and do it right. May save you a headache and $s...........