Thinking of new trailer tires

sailor55330

Seaman Apprentice
I"m looking for an opinion (or 26 knowing the forum) on replacing my trailer tires. 2007 Glastron, tandem axle EZ loader. The tires are Carlisle trail sports and are original. There is no significant tread wear and no sidewall cracking that I can see, but they are 8 years old and are subject to MN winters, even though it's stored in a covered facility. The trailer does sit outside in the usable months. Up until now, most of my trailer trips have been less than 20 miles each way, but it looks like I could be looking at some longer tows (110 miles each way) this summer.

Would you replace the tires based on age? Wisdom on the boards is all over the place as is choices. The only two tires I can find locally are Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons and reviews on those tires are about as varied as you can get, ranging from great to junk and back.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I"m looking for an opinion (or 26 knowing the forum) on replacing my trailer tires. 2007 Glastron, tandem axle EZ loader. The tires are Carlisle trail sports and are original. There is no significant tread wear and no sidewall cracking that I can see, but they are 8 years old and are subject to MN winters, even though it's stored in a covered facility. The trailer does sit outside in the usable months. Up until now, most of my trailer trips have been less than 20 miles each way, but it looks like I could be looking at some longer tows (110 miles each way) this summer.

Would you replace the tires based on age? Wisdom on the boards is all over the place as is choices. The only two tires I can find locally are Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons and reviews on those tires are about as varied as you can get, ranging from great to junk and back.

Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

Opinion: I would look them over as you did and decide. I don't pay much attention to time.

That said I like bias ply tires on my trailers. and use 8 to 10 ply tires even if 4 ply is all that is needed

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
No wear and no cracking then leave them alone. I would have a spare if making long trips.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Another MN boater here. I just ordered 4 new Maxxis ST radials for the trailer under my SeaRay last friday. It still has the tires that were on it when I picked it up used 12 years ago. The boat sat in a garage year round for many years and is always stored inside during the winter. There is no cracking or signs of dry rot on the tires and it towed like a dream when I pulled out of storage this spring. But I figured at this point I'm probably pushing my luck.

With our environment I think you can get 10 seasons out of boat trailer tires, especially if the boat is stored inside during the winter. I know they say 5 years and maybe down in the southwest with the sun and heat that's good advice. My anecdotal experience says in MN, 10 years.

BTW I got my Maxxis tires from Discount tire. They don't stock them so they had to be ordered. You can also try Sears Auto.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I would have to agree with the others, look them over carefully and if there are no cracks, valve stems are good, and tread is good then let them run. Should have a spare anyway whether tires are old or new. Monitor your tire pressure regularly, if tires start to need air frequently then it is time to replace them.

I would generally go about 10 years before replacing tires based on age alone. Like others have said, if they look good and there are no signs or cracking or dry root than run them a couple more years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I had perfectly looking tires fail at 5 years so I would replace. No cracks, no bulges....perfect condition on the outside. One failed on the way home from a 1000 mile round trip and the others showed the same signs upon my return.

I had the trailer stored with full weight on the tires. I now jack up the trailer during the winter and lower pressure to 10#.

Last edited:
I'm a regular reader over on an RV Forum, and literally everyone there says we can only expect 5 years max from a trailer tire. Also almost everyone there agrees that it's a best bet to not use ST (trailer only) tires, and to go to LT (light truck) tires; better weight capacity, less sidewall heat buildup, less side wall "squirm". Plus virtually every ST tire (including Carlisles) are Chinese or Indonesia made. limited to 65mph)
Consequently, I moved from a 13" ST175/80/13 to a 14" Yokohama (Japanese) Y356 LT tire 193LT/75/14 with about 400 pound additional weight carrying increase because I wanted the increased peace of mind and confidence. YMMV.

Regardless of country of origin...USA, Japanese, Canadian, or China Bombs... it's vital to maintain the optimal air pressure and the speed rating to avoid a big bang heat buildup.