Converting Hydraulic Trailer Brake Tongue To Fixed

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys,

I have trailer currently that has hydraulic drum brakes on it, from what I can tell the master is empty, and could potentially have rust in the lines. I do not trailer my boat very far, and have had no problems stopping/towing the boat, especially with my new full size truck. I am thinking of just converting the tongue to a fixed tongue without the master because I am sick of it slamming back and forth while towing. Could I simply remove the braking tongue, cap the line, and install something like i have linked below? I do not feel its worth dumping a bunch of money into a new master/tongue plus new brake assemblies for the 3 miles I trailer the boat. I could justify putting that money into the boat/repairs much easier. I would assume this would simply just bolt in place of the old tongue? Currently I think the trailer has a Dico/Titan hydraulic setup on it now.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coup...y/HT87076.html

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know your present capabilities with being able to remove and weld on a new tongue. But to answer your question, yes, you can remove the master cylinder tongue and replace it with a new welded on setup. But you may as well just remove the entire hydraulic system as well. Capping the lines really doesn't save them or accomplish anything. Without brake fluid in them, they are going to rust and pretty quickly making them totally useless to ever use again... JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are brakes required for that trailer in your state? What's that old stat that get's thrown around a lot? Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home.

If there is a shock absorber looking thing on the coupler, you could replace it with a strut and at least look legal. Or for a 3 mile tow, put up with the banging.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You could also slap on electric brakes for cheap...

When I converted to electric on my big trailer I took the coupler apart, removed the master and shock... Then I cleaned up the remaining parts, put it back together and welded it solid....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I converted to electric/hydraulic, I did what smoke did and then put 2 big hardened bolts to hold the sliding piece in place.
coupler.jpg

Last edited:

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well to me the assembly looked bolted on to the trailer? I will have to double check.

As far as trailer rules in GA there are no requirements about trailers requiring brakes in my state that I know of. The trailer does not even match the boat, I believe it was purchased second hand as the boat was originally stored in a dry dock.

Also, regarding the electric brake conversion, what's cheap? To me, spending anything over $100 on the trailer is not worth it IMO. Most of the electric controllers looked like they were $ 5-600, maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff? It's not a big boat, and I believe the trailer was originally used to tow a much larger boat. I mean I considered putting brake fluid into the system and bleeding it and seeing how it went, but most seemed to strongly caution that. I don't see the need to rebuild the entire system just to prevent the slamming back and forth if a simply tongue swap could work?

Finally, can the little strut/shock absorber underneath the tongue be purchased separately mine is completely blown out, and I could not find them anywhere, mainly because I did not know what to call it for the search?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Georgia Law (?40-8-50(d)) requires brakes on all wheels of trailers over 3,000 lbs. Gross Weight (actual loaded weight).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
GA requires brakes on all wheels if the GVWR exceeds 3000 lbs.
ga tr.PNG

Your boat weighs 2325 + trailer + fuel + everything else except people. Yep, over 3000 lbs.

1850-2.PNG

Yes - You can replace the shock.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
A crappy but functional brake controller for the truck can be bought for @$25 on ebay

Electric drum brakes (dexter never adjust) can be bought for @$70 a pair if you already have drums.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/291024088944?nav=SEARCH
4 for $140^

You SHOULD have a break away system but at least having functional brakes is way better than nothing.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
GA requires brakes on all wheels if the GVWR exceeds 3000 lbs.

Your boat weighs 2325 + trailer + fuel + everything else except people. Yep, over 3000 lbs.

Yes - You can replace the shock.

Actual weight is irrelevant, only number that matters for that law is what the manufacturer slapped on the GVWR sticker.