New trailer

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Did not see separate trailer issues in Pwc area so listed here. Sorry if in wrong thread. Have existing Pwc aluminum trailer by R&R. Two place unit used to haul 2 stroke 3 seater Waverunners. Now using this trailer to haul newer 3 seater 4 stroke boats. Trailer is getting old and torsion axle may need replacement. Yes, could install new axle, however with 4 stroke boats, load is heavier . Still under the Total GVW, but a little close to maxing out. Plus I have another use of old trailer. I am looking at a new aluminum trition elite, and see they offer a dual torsion axle. Don't need it for weight as the single axle is well suited for the total weight of the boats including a storage box, and yes, figured in"wet" weight I.e. Gas also. Travel approx. 350 miles couple time a year for various vacations. Never had issues with single wheel axle, knock on wood, but thought dual may be safer on long hauls, if flat tire, and may increase tire life, pending the tires don't dry rot / crack before the mileage takes its toll. May also use to haul kayaks with Pwc with some additional rigging. Looking for opinions, or someone thinking in same direction that maybe has look at this option also. Is the extra cost worth it or is this overkill. Appreciate your input.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The ONLY reason for the heavier rated trailer is to haul more weight...
A flat tire will strand you just as quick with a tandem and you could easily lose two tires on the same side from a road hazard...

The heavier trailer will also ride rougher since it will be less than half loaded.

Trailers work best at or near rated load.

alldodge

Staff member
Did not see separate trailer issues in Pwc area so listed here. Sorry if in wrong thread. Have existing Pwc aluminum trailer by R&R. Two place unit used to haul 2 stroke 3 seater Waverunners. Now using this trailer to haul newer 3 seater 4 stroke boats. Trailer is getting old and torsion axle may need replacement. Yes, could install new axle, however with 4 stroke boats, load is heavier . Still under the Total GVW, but a little close to maxing out. Plus I have another use of old trailer. I am looking at a new aluminum trition elite, and see they offer a dual torsion axle. Don't need it for weight as the single axle is well suited for the total weight of the boats including a storage box, and yes, figured in"wet" weight I.e. Gas also. Travel approx. 350 miles couple time a year for various vacations. Never had issues with single wheel axle, knock on wood, but thought dual may be safer on long hauls, if flat tire, and may increase tire life, pending the tires don't dry rot / crack before the mileage takes its toll. May also use to haul kayaks with Pwc with some additional rigging. Looking for opinions, or someone thinking in same direction that maybe has look at this option also. Is the extra cost worth it or is this overkill. Appreciate your input.

I like a heavy trailer, also put 8 and 10 ply tires on my trailers, even if they only require 4 ply. Like bias ply for long lasting tires over radials.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alldodge
Funny you should mention that on tires. I went to a "D" rated tire due to the weight of load being close to tire max rating. Other issue is torsion maybe wearing out,as I seem to have a slight toe out on tire/ wheel.
Noticed a little more wear on inside of tire which could indicate overloading, but I am under GVW.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Alldodge
Funny you should mention that on tires. I went to a "D" rated tire due to the weight of load being close to tire max rating. Other issue is torsion maybe wearing out,as I seem to have a slight toe out on tire/ wheel.
Noticed a little more wear on inside of tire which could indicate overloading, but I am under GVW.

Does sound like something is not right. Most trailers have a weight capacity rating along with the GVW