Trailer with or without a cover?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Bayliner 185 Bowrider. We have the snap on covers for the open bow and cockpit. I guess they are called mooring covers? idk if that terminology is correct.
Anyway, we decided to trailer our boat this year instead of putting it in a slip.
Looked around and seems there are different opinions.
So, as I gather...it's not a good idea to trailer with our existing covers.
Some people say don't cover at all when trailering.
Maybe it's a personal preference?
Just wondering what the pluses and minuses are to both camps.
I thought there would be a sticky for this, but I don't see one.
Thanks as always,
Joe

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you have already read up on the subject...
There is no definitive answer and you will get nothing different than everyone else who asked the same question.

You'll be warned not to do it. Some folks will say the do with no problems.

In the end you will have to make a judgement call.

That said I'll toss my .02 in.... If you are gonna stay under about 35 mph go for it... If you are gonna get on the highway take em off.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you have already read up on the subject...
There is no definitive answer and you will get nothing different than everyone else who asked the same question.

You'll be warned not to do it. Some folks will say the do with no problems.

In the end you will have to make a judgement call.

That said I'll toss my .02 in.... If you are gonna stay under about 35 mph go for it... If you are gonna get on the highway take em off.
That's what I figured. I think, rather than pay for a costly trailerable cover. I'll just do the highway driving without any cover

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
In town ( < 30 mph) like going from house to boat doctor (who's in same town), I trailer WITH a cover.

On the fast hiway, NO cover. Covers are costly and I won't take the risk.

Hope this helps.

southkogs

Staff member
I'll chime in the same way. I have a custom trailer cover. In town / short runs under 40MPH or so, I'll pull it with a cover. Longer hauls and Interstate speeds, the cover comes off. Snap covers / Mooring covers I would probably elect to take off no matter what. More so that I didn't have one blow off than anything else.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Things to consider:

- The cover can rip or split from the wind a higher speeds. I've had covers split just from the weight of snow on them.
- If part or all of the cover comes off if could land on another car and block that drivers view (among other things).
- The flapping of the cover in the breeze can damage the boat. (I have a bare spot on my engine that the PO says came from the cover just flapping in the wind over one winter.)
- The cover inflating or flapping will increase the trailer drag.
- Most covers are not designed for trailering at speed. There are some covers that you can trailer with but they are better fitted and have lots of straps.

Some people do put snap on covers on the exterior of the forward windows/windshields to protect from road rash, but these are a lot smaller than complete boat covers. I find that the tow vehicle makes an effect defense against most road debris, but it probably depends on the size and configuration of your boat.

Last edited:

Rodnit

Recruit
Mooring cover, no. Traveling cover, yes(custom or factory with snaps). Sounds like yours may be a traveling cover, or, dual purpose......... Pic?

Last edited:

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We've left covers in place before, but this new boat we had a problem with flapping, ripping, straps snapping, inflation.. you name it. This was the big grey "trailerable" cover sold at menards. Good cover, I like it, but unless it's got a hundred straps you may have problems. We want to try towing with the snap on cover, which also has "toggles" @ corners and leading edges.
This cover has poles that fit grommets in order to keep the cover tented during rain. I thought maybe take the polls out and use straps inside to pull the cover down. Maybe this would be better with the wind?
My biggest concern trailering open on the highway is losing a seat, cushion, drink holder, storage covers etc.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I generally do not trail with any cover other than my trailerable cover and that is seldom and strapped down good. Mooring covers, held down by only snaps, can come off more easily. I like towing without any cover, it allows the boat interior to dry out well on the way home from the lake.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I make my own covers. I actually made my snap in mooring cover so that it can be used while towing. All depends on how the cover was made. If it uses any poles to support it, I would not use it for towing. If it does not go down over the windshield and snap it at the base of the windshield, I would not use it for towing.

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

UncleWillie

Captain
...My biggest concern trailering open on the highway is losing a seat, cushion, drink holder, storage covers etc.
You will loose the same items on the road that you will on the water at WOT. Secure everything!
If you get one of the larger bungee cord cargo nets, you can stretch it over the cockpit by hooking it on the mooring cleats.
Anything blowing around in the boat will at least stay in the boat.

I had a roll of paper towels get loose in the boat that made an interesting sight going down the interstate!
Think, Commissioning Pennant!

Last edited:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
My old boat had a nice custom trailering cover, it's now spread in small pieces across western WI. One small rip where it rubbed on the windshield and the rest is history. I no longer pull with a cover.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My old boat had a nice custom trailering cover, it's now spread in small pieces across western WI. One small rip where it rubbed on the windshield and the rest is history. I no longer pull with a cover.
That's why I made mine with vinyl reinforcements sewn in wherever the cover hits the windshield. All custom covers need to have this done or it won't be trailerable.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

My cover is on my boat pretty much any time I'm not going directly to or from the water. It was sold to me as being trailerable and I've taken them at their word. Frankly, given the winds around here from time to time, I see little difference between cruising down the highway and leaving it on when it's in the driveway. I use the cover religiously to protect my upholstery, electronics, and keep water out of the bilge. It has done yeoman service for me and I do a few things to try to keep it in good shape: 1) I pad sharp corners like the edges of the windshield so that wind doesn't wear away at the fabric. 2) I keep the material as taut as possible so that water doesn't pool. 3) I treat it with the waterproofing stuff that Sunbrella recommends for its products (though mine isn't one of them).

I'm on my second cover since 2010. The first one would still be in use if I had followed Rule #1 (above) about padding sharp edges. I won't make that mistake again.

Attachments

• photo204441.jpg
    photo204441.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Depends on you and it depends on the cover. Nice custom cover that fits tight can be trailered with no problems and keeps all the road crap out of the boat. Personally not a huge fan of trailer covers that require straps down to the trailer frame - just means that they don't fit well and the straps flap against the boat.

This one is from commercial sewing and doesn't move around at all at highway speeds.
WP_20141024_002s.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Commercial Sewing - that's one of the ones. You get what you pay for. If you like road dirt and bird poop, you don't need a cover.

Been trailering for 47 years. Never had one rip yet.

Those of us that trailer classic ski boats and vintage woodies use covers that protect the fore end of the hull as well, not just the deck. No problem.

I love people that don't cover - it passes the time for us very well on our annual treck on the interstate up north to our vacation lake. The person that counts the highest number of PFDs and cooler lids on the side of the road wins!

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I put mine on for long trips or if it's raining. I have a Taylor made with the shock cord in it. No problems in the 5 years I've been towing with it on. I keep my boat in the garage so I don't like putting it in there wet.

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I wouldn't. I only pull my boat about 25 miles to the ICW, but some of the trip is 70mph. The cover would have to be custom, perfect and perfectly maintained.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If the weather is expected to be nice or the tow relatively close, I do not put a cover on. If weather is bad or we are taking the boat out of state, then I will cover it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I also have the snap on Taylor Made brand Mooring Covers like you do....I've trailered countless miles in every kind of weather condition over the years and never a hint of an issue. That said, there is a little label on the cover that has the personal signatures of the team at Taylor Made that made it along with a warning not to exceed 35 mph. I guess I like to live right there on the edge.