Can the Pathfinder tow this boat?

rhino_160

Seaman
2014 Pathfinder w/ tow package rated at 5,000lbs.
2007 Tahoe 222 w/ Tracker Marine dual axle trailer

I have been searching the net but not having too much luck and wanted to see what you all think or may have experience with. The trip to the lake appr. 50 minutes one way. We have been towing with my Lincoln Navigator with no issues but wanted to try the Pathfinder. The sticker on the trailer says GVWR 6,000, GAWR 3000, and MAX LOAD 4700 LBS. I don't know the tongue weight so maybe someone can chime in. What do you all think? Is this too much trailer for the mid-sized SUV? Thanks in advance.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hook it to the navigator and go weigh it full of fuel and gear....

Compare the numbers you get to the tow capacity you already know.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your boat and trailer is 4725 without fuel or gear. That 1300 for the trailer and 3425 for the boat, pathfinder is a nice vehicle, and it'll pull it and stop it even with fuel, but your gonna have hell getting it up the boat ramp, get a heavier suv.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Soooo assuming those weights are spot on (boats sometimes vary quite a bit) 4725 plus fuel, battery(s), anchor(s), cooler, and any other gear aboard....wakeboard tower? extended swim platform?..... Plus any unknown added weight from waterlogged foam.... Again get it weighed.

Maclin

Admiral
The sticker on the trailer is only about the capacities for the trailer and not with any particular boat. Weigh it with the normal load you have, meaning with full tank, etc. Remember that tow vehicles have more than just the tow rating, there is max load for the vehicle and max load for vehicle plus whatever is being towed.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Best to get loaded boat weighed (at hiway truck scale or gravel pit scale). Some city dumps have weight stations as well.

Always use "scale weight" numbers when towing....

Assume your Pathfinder will pull your loaded trailer/loaded boat and it isn't too much stress up boat rumps, against strong winds and/or up fast hiway hills, I highly recommend installing brakes on the trailer. My boat trailer (loaded at @,2600 lbs) has full electric brakes with Motion Sensor/Proportional Brake Controller inside my Tow Vehicle (FWD mini-van). I can now stop my combo without over stressing my Tow Vehicle brakes (and warping its front rotors). Adjustable full electric trailer brakes (adjustment strength on Brake Controller unit) is amazing before and after results. Recommend same for your mini-SUV as well...

thumpar

Admiral
Even if it does have the capacity to tow it I would want something bigger.

bigdee

Commander
Do you already have the Pathfinder?? If so hook her up and give it a trial run.