trailer failed- help

brad3

Cadet
I just got done replacing my wheel bearings and races on one hub. Now the nut goes all the in when tight and the hub still has play. What could be wrong? I could not find any answers.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Pull both sides apart and compare... Figure out what's different and you'll find the problem.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Thicker outer thrust washer. Apparently your replacement inner or outer bearings are slightly smaller than OE. shouldn't be a big deal if the bearings fit the spindles properly.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Are you sure you matched the new parts up with the old parts you removed? Or did you just go to the parts store, tell them what you had and they gave you what they thought was the right parts. When doing trailers, it is always best to take the old parts with you when you pick new stuff up, so you can match as close as possible. Did the old bearing fail while you were towing it? I agree with Dockwrecker, you are going to probably have to add a thicker thrust washer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull both sides apart and compare... Figure out what's different and you'll find the problem.
+1

If you used the exact same part number bearings, it should be exactly the same. You need to double check your part numbers.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The only way that can happen is if you forgot to install something, or the replacement bearing had a smaller outside diameter and it pulled inside the hub when you installed the nut. You did remember to install both races??

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like either wrong bearings and races or somebody forgot to install a race before assembling them again...

brad3

Cadet
I did install both races. I will double check the Part numbers and get back to you.

brad3

Cadet
Bruce- i only installed new races on the HUB i am having the issue with. On the other side i only installed new bearings into the old races and the hub fits fine.

brad3

Cadet
I am pretty sure the new bearings were the correct size as i matched the outer bearing part# with the new bearings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce- i only installed new races on the HUB i am having the issue with. On the other side i only installed new bearings into the old races and the hub fits fine.
When you change bearings, you always change races.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am pretty sure the new bearings were the correct size as i matched the outer bearing part# with the new bearings.
How about the inner bearing number? Did you pop the races and make sure you bought the correct race number?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I totally agree with Bruce on this. You always change bearings AND races when you make a change. The bearing is designed to work with the proper race that comes with the bearing set. So I would change both inter and outer bearings and races as a normal change procedure. If your old race had any wear, it will wear the new bearing really quickly... JMHO!

brad3

Cadet
How about the inner bearing number? Did you pop the races and make sure you bought the correct race number?

I did not check the race numbers. I assumed because the races came with the bearings that i did not need to check the races # with the old races. I will do this and let you know what i find. I will also complete the other side in changing the races.