More surge brake problems

CpnArcata

Recruit
I'm new to this site and like 7lazy77 I'm having "clunking" problems. I am fairly sure it's not in the accuator but in brake function itself. When I apply the brakes they appear to grab causing the whole trailer to bounce. I have replaced the accuator, UFP A-60, bled the brakes, and tried many different adjustments without any success. These are drum brakes on an E-Z Loader custom trailer. I am considering going to either hydraulic disc brakes or electric but I don't want to spend the money and still have the same problem. I'm kinda at my wits end and looking for any suggestions or something I have missed. Sorry this is so long.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard CpnArcata. Nice having you join us here at iboats.

Okay seems you have some brake issues. Did you actually remove the drums to see if everything looked good? When hydraulic brakes grab, one thing comes to mind, a leaking wheel cylinder. Wet drum brakes will grab as soon as you apply any hydraulic pressure. So if the wheel cylinders are not wet with brake fluid or any of the wheel cylinders leaking, you may try backing off on the adjuster(s) some. You could have them too tight... IF the brakes shoes are wet, you need to fix the leaking wheel cylinder(s) and install new shoes... JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My bet is a bad shock in the coupler....

IF you choose electric you won't have any such issues because the entire surge system is removed except for the drums IF the drums are suitable for the e-magnet

CpnArcata

Recruit
Thanks for the quick replies. I have replaced the actuator including the shock absorber and removed and turned the drums. The brake shoes are dry and there is no evidence of leaking. I tried three different brake adjustments this past week with no changes. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Did the brake shoes ever get grease on them? That will cause them to be grabby.

Can you post a picture of your brakes with the drum removed? I have see some pretty creative spring placements on these before.

Have you jacked up the wheels, spun the wheels, and applied the brakes manually to see how they work?

If you were going to replace anything, I would replace with disc brakes. So much better than drum brakes(both electric and hydraulic).

I have electric over hydraulic on one of my trailers and they are the best brakes I have ever owned. I currently have surge drum on my pontoon trailer but it will get disks once I have the first hint of problems with the drum brakes.

Last edited:

CpnArcata

Recruit
I thought I had a picture but I can't find it. When I pull it apart again I'll snap another one. But I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with discs. Thanks for your input.