Trailer Back Up Assist

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
" My mind is made up! Don't confuse me with the facts!" When I want your opinion I will give it to you. What are you guys? All Amish? Go back to your horse and buggy. Get with it--New technology is the thing of the future, no, the present! Ask your kids (if you have any). I suppose you will never ride in a self driving car. Butthey are here and will become more prevalent

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just because something exists does not mean it should.

DDT was once the latest and greatest thing.

Electronics replacing all physical activity and human skill isn't without downfalls.

No I'm not against electronics or progress but I am absolutely certain that I can back trailers much more safely that some video game generation kid of the future staring at a little screen on the dash.

Sure smart phones are wonderful tools but are we better off with thousands of accidents from idiots texting or emailing while driving or were we better off having to stop and ask for directions at a gas station.

I don't hate technology but I do think that once we figure out that we CAN do something we should pause to figure out if we SHOULD.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Its just a second steering wheel.... I Lol'ed.

That is exactly what it is NOT. The system is a computer controlled backing assist. You have to enter the length of the trailer and where the axle is. (so it knows how the trailer pivots) The computer calculates the angles and knows how to get the trailer where you want it. (i.e., you let go of the wheel and it assumes you want the trailer to go straight back, so it will do what it needs to do to straighten it out.) Apparently it can store the specifications of 10 different trailers.

Not saying it is really that needed, but it still is a pretty cool piece of technology! Everyone on here is of course better than 99.9% of the population at backing a trailer, but a quick visit to any public launch site shows that those other 99% of the population probably could use this technology.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
It seems to me that some of you resent this new technology because it allows just anybody to equal you in a skill you worked hard to master. I'd say get over it, because the technology is coming in any case.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
LOL.... Certainly not me..... It might make someone THINK they equaled someone else's skill but when their little girl comes running up to the driver's window with a cold drink as the computer decides to steer the front of the truck to the left and the front tire runs over her because they were staring at a little screen instead of scanning the mirrors and looking around.....

Used to be that the driver watched everything and stopped as soon as there was any question..... With this system the only 'safe' place is right in front of the camera.

Maybe they'll add sensors.... Then you really can trust the lives of other people to the computer...... After all as we all know electronics never go haywire and never do anything bad.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh darn. The back up assist system is on the fritz again so I guess we just have to turn around and go home...said no one at a boat ramp who actually took the time to acquire the skill.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Bull-de pepe! You negative nellies make me sick. What about the guy who is looking back at his trailer and doesn't see the little girl running up until he feels the thump? You guys can think of a negative scenario for anything new, be it drivers with cell phones, back-up screens, or a truck that ensures a trailer backs down straight. Oh! A horseless carriage-- Man wasn't meant to go more than 15 MPH. You won't be able to breath. You will hit pedestrians (self fulfilling prophesy) It will pollute the earth (again self fulfilling) You know, those new-fangled horses also pollute the streets with their gas and poop, and kill people who can't control them.

OOOH! This is turning into an ethanol in gas thread! LOL Well, I'm having fun.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You know what would be really funny, is if this system automatically put the plug in or took off the trailer tie-downs. LOL

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If Frank gets his way it'll hook up, drive to the lake, launch, n cruise around while the "captain" is laying in a recliner enjoying all the action from a computer screen...... Ever watch Wall-e? Lol

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
A lot of good points on both sides of the subject.
But idk, I guess I'm old school, but I wouldn't trust that thing.
Kind of like those cars that park themselves. I think..if you can't park a car, you shouldn't be driving.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Jay made a comment about equalling the skill it took years to learn.

I forgot to mention that it doesn't take years to learn to back a trailer... It took me a few minutes to get the basics when I was 8 years old on a lawn mower hooked to a small utility trailer.... Within a week I was pretty good at it.

Some people are naturals and others never really get automatic at it.

For the latter you don't need a fancy computer but rather a tiny sticker that says "When backing a trailer, push the bottom of the steering wheel the direction you want the back of the trailer to go"

Sure as Frank mentioned the little girl would get run over if the driver was only looking back. That's why he needs to be constantly scanning both mirrors and both sides of the vehicle. You have to maintain awareness of the entire area and constantly watch for hazards to appear.

jayhanig

Jay made a comment about equalling the skill it took years to learn.

Actually, I did not. You are the only one who mentioned "years". I merely stated the technology allowed one to perform the same skill that others worked hard at to master. Go back and read it again. I haven't changed anything unless I addressed a typo.

I will note that it's been my experience: the more someone denies something, the closer to the truth it is. YMMV.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sorry Jay, I misquoted you... I was going by memory... You said "resent this new technology because it allows just anybody to equal you in a skill you worked hard to master" instead of "years to master" .... My reply stays basically the same tho.

Just about anyone CAN do what I do... There's no huge skill set required and "mastering" it doesn't require hard work, just a little instruction (which I have always felt was extremely lacking in our driver education programs) and some practice.
As for denying tho, denying and disagreeing are not the same thing.

And you said "equal the skill" not "perform the same skill"

You are way off the mark if you think I'm jealous..... I believe that counting on an automated system and a limited view of a monitor is dangerous. The creators of the system agree with me too thus the warning to "check surroundings for safety" at the top of the screen.

If I felt that use of this system was safe and prudent I would be all for it.

I also would happily help anyone who needed it learn how to safely back a trailer..... Certainly not wanting anyone excluded from anything...

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I'll readily admit I'm in the resentment category. I have a skill. A skill many try to posses but do not. Which is why I wouldn't own one. So when someone says they can back a trailer as well as me, I can tell them to turn off their auto-trailer and then show me.

But I'm not mad. And I believe technology is super helpful. Just don't let it become a crutch for human skill.

And as for anti-lock brakes-they pump ten times a second. No human can pump that fast. But then again, I am very skilled at navigation and do in fact use a GPS from time to time. Unlike some folks who would have to stay home if the satellites stop working.

jayhanig

Smoke, I have to agree that driver's education is sorely lacking in this regard. I never learned anything about pulling or backing trailers in my early 1970s course. Everything I know I learned by trial and error combined with reading other's advice. And I know without a doubt from watching at the boat ramp that I'm better than some and worse than others. I envy the guys who get it first time; every time. I still consider myself a work in progress.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Bull-de pepe! You negative nellies make me sick. What about the guy who is looking back at his trailer and doesn't see the little girl running up until he feels the thump? You guys can think of a negative scenario for anything new, be it drivers with cell phones, back-up screens, or a truck that ensures a trailer backs down straight.

Strawman... Two different technologies here. Lots of vehicles have had backup cameras. Actually in 2018 they become mandatory on ALL vehicles, per NHTSA regulations. If you are backing a trailer, by hand, using just the backup camera, your scenario applies. (which I find nearly impossible to do anyway, that is what mirrors are for.) The technology here has absolutely nothing to do with the backup camera, it replaces you grabbing the steering wheel and calculating angles in your head. You can still choose to use the mirrors, camera, both, or if you are feeling lucky, neither.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Oh darn. The back up assist system is on the fritz again so I guess we just have to turn around and go home...said no one at a boat ramp who actually took the time to acquire the skill.

or just blunder around for 20 minutes like 90% of people do at a ramp today anyway...

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
or just blunder around for 20 minutes like 90% of people do at a ramp today anyway...

At least the guy is trying. If he practices enough, he'll get it down to a reasonable amount of time. I guess my point is, don't rely solely on the system. Learn the skill because anyone who does any trailering will need the skill probably sooner than they think.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Jay I wish we were close together... I'd love to get you in an abandoned parking lot with a trailer and some cones..... 30 minutes and you'd either be feeling much more confident or prove me wrong tho I'm betting on the former. :)

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Lets stop and think about all this technology and how "wonderfull" it is supposed to be. Are we getting lazier every year to allow a computer to run our lives? Think of all this so called anti-skid technology in cars now.....Just wait until the computer goes haywire or some hacker figures out how to control the computer in your car and kills your family.....no thanks I want to be in control of my own destiny as much as possible. When the computer goes haywire who is going to backup your trailer for you??? My kids were required to backup a trailer before they could get their drivers license....just another life skill like checking their own oil and changing their own flat tire. My kids also had to go thru one whole winter of driving and yes I made them slide and regain control of an automobile before I allowed them on the road by themselves. Backing a trailer is just another life skill that needs to be learned if you tow a trailer. Hell should be part of the license exam in my opinion.