Trailer Back Up Assist

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If I can see the boat or the trailer, I can back it up into most any place. But I have to be able to see it first... Never had any problem if I can see the trailer...

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Reminds me of the commercial for Audi, about the parking assist in other vehicles. Then the audi comes screaming in and power slides into the parking spot. And the announcer says "for people who can park themselves"

I wouldn't have this trailer assist on my vehicle on principal alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVaFbkg9jRs

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
With a rear view camera it doesn't get much easier backing up to a trailer. Don't see a need for this.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its just a second steering wheel.... I Lol'ed.

I dont have a backup camera, but I could see that being nice.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Still.... that is pretty cool! I don't know that I'd spend extra to get that, but it is nifty technology.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You can install an aftermarket backup camera for $80. I did it on my Ford ranger pickup. I can back the hitch ball right up to the tongue of the trailer on the first attempt. No getting in and out of the truck anymore.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't get it. It is just using a little knob instead of the big round one in front of you.

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' about trailer back up assist, but I do like the hitch ball assist. That's kinda cool.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I want to see what's behind the boat, not the front of the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
?? If a person can't back up the trailer, are they capable of operating the boat ??

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That is not the point! When anti-lock brakes first cam out I felt that any driver worth his salt could do better. NOW, I just slam on the brakes and let the computer do its job

My new tow vehicle is a Silverado. It completely blocks the view of my smaller trailers until it is too late. I have been backing trailers for 50 years and do pretty well but if the Chevy had back up assist, I would use it and let the computer do the work. Like I said: Thank God for silicon valley.

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems Ford has succeeded in having some people think backing up a trailer is now fool proof.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
IMHO anyone who would use this isn't up to the task of trailering...

We don't need silly gadgets we need education.

Maybe just the invention of this system is evidence enough that we need to require trailer endorsements for all drivers to pull trailers.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you consider buying this please pm me, I've got a video camera that mounts to a clear straw so you can see the fluid is getting through the straw before it enters your mouth all without looking down for the low low price of 299.95. "Here's your sign"