How much does it weigh

klockk

Recruit
Just got a new boat was told it was a starcraft 1976. Has a 70hp johnson. But was wondering on the weights of it all. making sure its just fine for my little truck to pull and if the wench I have is rated for the boat weight. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 20150418_143841.jpeg
    20150418_143841.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 0

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Just take the boat and tlr fully loaded to a public scale, pull ahead far enough to have TV off the scales but able to put down the tongue jack on the scale. Lift the coupler off the ball and find what it weighs. When you get it home on level concrete or asphalt, put a bathroom scale under the tongue jack to get an approximation of tongue weight.
I could run w/ the "wench" statement, but I wont!!
Mike

klockk

Recruit
That's the only picture I have atm. There was a back plate. Which read stra88210476f6. But I was told stra. Ment starcraft which is probably right. And the only other nubers I was told was 76 was the year. So what you mean lacking and in poor shape? Little new to this. If need anymore information I'll try to find out.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Surf many different 1987 StarCraft models within: http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Starcraf...6/bp/54br1466y

Within above URL, focus on its listed "dry weight". Then, add up to 300 lbs for largest engine size, fluids, gear, etc.

For Tow Vehicle pulling power, remember to add weight of the unloaded trailer as well.

Note: In a perfect world, recommend loading boat on trailer, loading boat with fluids & gear, then get it formally weighed at a trailer weight scale - like truck inspection scales or at gravel pits. Thus, obtaining "reality" loaded weight numbers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's the only picture I have atm. There was a back plate. Which read stra88210476f6. But I was told stra. Ment starcraft which is probably right. And the only other nubers I was told was 76 was the year. So what you mean lacking and in poor shape? Little new to this. If need anymore information I'll try to find out.

The 1976 brochure is lacking and in poor shape. The scan is of a water stained, moth eaten brochure, that's why I linked the 1977 brochure, it's close enough. I wasn't referring to your boat. It doesn't look water stained and moth eaten in the pic, klockk.

Here is a HIN decode of the first 12 characters. The f6 is something Starcraft adds, maybe a model ID, but :noidea: hin1.PNG

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Nice little '76 Starcraft, gonna weigh about 1500-1900, including trailer, depending on how much gear and gas you throw in her.

klockk

Recruit
Thanks everyone for the help. Ga_boater, I figured you didn't mean my boat but wasn't sure if you spotted something I didnt. Like I said I'm new to this. The last boat I owned was only a 12 foot aluminum with a 7.5h mercury. So this one is just a little above my skill level. Trying to learn alot from it. I looked at the link and on the boat says max o/b is 85 hp . So Im guessing it the 15 foot american. Which was 850 no motor. And looked up about how much a 70hp johnson weighs and it said about 200lB. Give or take with shafts length I'm asumeing. So I suppose I need to get a new wench. It was rated for 1000lbs. And I'm pushing it. And the tithe is in a family members name I'd have to find it first. But I didn't think of that one scott..

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well your wench may or may not need replaced but this may be the wrong place to talk about her. That said, your winch is fine... You aren't lifting the boat, you are simply pulling it onto the trailer.

klockk

Recruit
Thanks smokeronthewater. Sorry about the missspelling. Lol using my cell phone and I don't know why it kept putting the e In there. I really appreciate everyone's help. Nice to see people willing to help out. Thanks everyone.