2" coupler replacement for 2006 Tarpon tandem axle trailer

dacharon

Cadet
I need some help determining which replacement parts I need. I searched the web and found information for 2" coupler replacement kits for 'Curt', 'Shelby Class II', 'Shelby Class III' and others. I am unable to read the serial number on the trailer as it is worn and faded. Anybody out there that owns a Tarpon trailer that can provide some guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NYBo

Admiral
Is the coupler bolted on? If so, it's a simple matter to just replace the whole coupler.

Pictures would help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The trailer manufacturer did not make the coupler. Look at the coupler for the manufacturers name. Probably a Atwood.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Often a coupler is stamped with the specs. Might be hard to read if it has multiple coats of paint on it.

Tarpon is still in business - http://www.tarpontrailer.com/ Your title and or registration has the serial number.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
you need dimensions of the tongue, attachment method, and gvwr of the trailer....

IE a 7,000 coupler that will bolt on to a 3" x 4" tongue with 4" bolt spacing or whatever your trailer needs such as weld on, heavier or lighter, etc

dacharon

Cadet
No Title

Is the coupler bolted on? If so, it's a simple matter to just replace the whole coupler.

Pictures would help.

Thanks for the reply. Pictures per your request.

Attachments

• photo220543.jpg
    photo220543.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220544.jpg
    photo220544.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220545.jpg
    photo220545.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220546.jpg
    photo220546.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo220547.jpg
    photo220547.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

dacharon

Cadet
you need dimensions of the tongue, attachment method, and gvwr of the trailer....

IE a 7,000 coupler that will bolt on to a 3" x 4" tongue with 4" bolt spacing or whatever your trailer needs such as weld on, heavier or lighter, etc

I only want to replace the latch/lock mechanism on top of and the hardware inside the ball socket. The GVWR is 6000 lbs, so it is the Tarpon tandem axle 24-26 trailer.

dacharon

Cadet
Alright... I am an idiot. I did some additional research and now realize that the disk brake actuator and straight frame coupler are all part of one assembly from the manufacturer. In my case it is a Titan.

In my defense - LOL - this is the first boat I have owned that included a trailer. My boat is rack stored. The only time I have used the trailer was to pick up the boat from the seller. I recently changed marinas and discovered that the marina had bent the ball latch inside the socket. I could not get it to lock down on the ball. They jury rigged one from an old tongue but were not even able to tighten down the bolt because doing so prevented the coupler from locking. Fortunately I only had to move the boat about 3 miles.

Thanks for all the replies.

thumpar

Admiral
I replaced the brake actuator (its the whole assembly) on my trailer last year. They cost just over $100 for them.

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You answered your own question in post #6! You have a Titan coupler. It is stamped right on it.