Winching the boat on, it's ALWAYS loose?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Silicone spray lube x-1000!

Launch boat n go boating for a couple hours while bunks dry

Return to dock n thoroughly spray bunks

Go boating for a couple more hours while bunks dry....

When you return to load you will be AMAZED at the difference.

Make sure when launching afterwards you DO NOT release the winch before you are ready for the boat to leave the trailer.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Silicone spray is really great. If you're bunks are completely dry when you apply the silicone, it will last much longer than if they are even slightly damp. That stuff just doesn't seem to stick if the bunk carpet isn't dry.

bassman284

Commander
Geometry. . . Happened to me much of the time when I launched & retrieved.

It has to do with the boat hull making contact with the forward edge of the bunks while still somewhat level as it is floating, which is pretty much unavoidable. The forward part of the boat is in contact with the bunks while the rear portion of the boat is floating up above the bunks. Then when you pull out the rear portion drops down to rest on the bunks, causing the bow of the boat to pull away from the bow stop (block)

One way to deal with this phenomenon might be to have a roller at the the forward edge of the bow, which would allow the hull to slide forward a smidgen while it is coming out of the water.
Yeah, I think this is it. It happens with my friend's boat every time. What we do is winch the boat on as far as possible, then pull ahead a couple of feet so the boat settles lightly on the bunks then winch it up the rest of the way.

He really needs new bunk carpet and probably some slick stuff because it's impossible to move that boat if it's sitting full on the bunks. His winch is good and geared for the load, he just has way too much friction on the bunks.