Winching the boat on, it's ALWAYS loose?

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the boat and trailer last fall, so I don't have a lot of "launch n retrieve" time with it, but here is the scoop.
This is on a '91 Grumman 20'SF almn fishing boat, and a BLUE trailer, (don't ask me the name! It's a steel, single axle trailer), with bunks!!
I back the trailer down to wet the fenders, (always the same water level on the trailer, give er take), run the boat on, winch it on, put the safety chain on, and pull outta the water.
I drive 1 block (if that) to the parking spot for the trailer and EVERY TIME I look at the boat, it not against the rubber block any more
There is NO way I can pull the boat tight once it's out of the water and the weight is on the bunks.
Last 2 times I retrieved it I back in a bit deeper, and ran that winch strap TIGHT, like real tight! (the last time I scooted onto the trailer a bit faster, left the motor in forward and winched the strap tight.
Any ideas why I always have the boat creep? back a few inches??
I'm not concerned now as the summer is here, it only has to travel the 1 block to and from the launch, but incase I want to launch somewhere else, or at the end of the season...............
Joe
It ALWAYS has to be something!
I

Last edited by a moderator:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Imnot sure cause of It but i just jam on the brakes at the top of the ramp.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure that will work, but I'll try it next time.
I was thinking either the winch is going bad, (I don't see how, as it rackets nice, teeth all good, strap is good, but maybe some lube?) or, either replace the carpeted bunks with the slick plastic bunks or rollers to help it slip n slide the last few inches if it slips back.
Joe
maybe it's a "black hole vortex in the boat? Maybe the boat was made from material from a Indian burial ground? Maybe the captain should not have done those drugs in the 70's? Naaaaaaaaa!

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Geometry. . . Happened to me much of the time when I launched & retrieved.

It has to do with the boat hull making contact with the forward edge of the bunks while still somewhat level as it is floating, which is pretty much unavoidable. The forward part of the boat is in contact with the bunks while the rear portion of the boat is floating up above the bunks. Then when you pull out the rear portion drops down to rest on the bunks, causing the bow of the boat to pull away from the bow stop (block)

One way to deal with this phenomenon might be to have a roller at the the forward edge of the bow, which would allow the hull to slide forward a smidgen while it is coming out of the water.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I find it odd you are unable to winch it back up tight to the stop when it happens. Your winch should be able to do that without issue. Imagine if you had to winch the boat on the trailer all the way. If you can't, you need to do something with the bunks and winch. Because any winch that won't pull the boat forward and tight is lacking and is the incorrect size for your setup... You could spray some silicon spray on the bunk runners, and then the winch should be able to move the boat back tight. I would also suggest you use some transom straps as well. JMHO!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If I had to guess the winch might have a worn gear and pulls it up tight by hand but the inertia of moving with the truck lets it give a bit,..

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If it's an old winch I might replace it,..

New ones are not all that expensive,........

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
tpenfield is right, it is related to the trailer being on an angle on the ramp while the boat is relatively flat. Is your trailer level on flat ground or is the tongue raised up? Lowering your hitch ball height would help. Is there a roller in the middle of your trailer's forward cross member? If one exists I would raise it, if not I would add one. The roller should lift the bow higher on the winch post on the ramp but should not touch after trailer is pulled out of the water and the stern rests on the bunks.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
This happens to me when I launch at a ramp that's a bit steeper than those I normally use. If I back in as far as I usually do (tops of fenders) on the steeper ramp, the boat does not winch on the same and every time I pull up the ramp, the boat settles away from the bow stop. On steep ramps, I don't back the trailer in as far, just as these guys are saying, and the problem is solved.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I would replace the winch too. You should have no problem winching it a couple of inches. It may not be geared right for your set up..... I winched a 24' with a cuddy and a 5.7 the length of the trailer many times.......

+ a bunch on backing the trailer in too far.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you can't winch the boat forward, most likely your winch is too low and pulling the boat down into the bunks... It should pull straight ahead or VERY slightly up.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I've often had the same problem and frequently do the "hard brake" fix on my first stop, then pull over and confirm everything is snug. I think on mine, it's a friction issue on my bunks and have already purchased some UHMW plastic to skin the tops when I get the chance. - Grandad

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's normal on some boat and trailer combinations. I have one boat that no matter what you do the boat will be about an inch or so from stop. I just hit the brakes and re tighten everything. 15 years and it does it every time.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's normal on some boat and trailer combinations. I have one boat that no matter what you do the boat will be about an inch or so from stop. I just hit the brakes and re tighten everything. 15 years and it does it every time.

you're backing in too deep also

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tanks for the advice and tips!
I stopped at Lowe's yesterday and looked at some PVC trim boards.
I thought I'd screw them to the top of my bunks (as is over the carpet) and see if I can slip n slide her on if need be.
If it's the cat's meow, I'll pull the carpet off and screw these on the bunks.
The boat and trailer I'm guessing came as one (but it is a '91, so who knows).
The winch strap is under the winch spool, not over the top like most boats/trailers I see and level with the eyelet, the rubber "V" is above the eyelet.
No roller on the trailer.
The ramp is steep, and with the St. Lawrence low this year(??) and I'm betting going to get lower as the season goes on, the ramp will be steeper.
Joe
It's always something!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Be carful if you decide to replace the bunks with PVC replacement. PVC can not hold the working load of real wood and can cause more problems then solved. If you have to use PVC, at least install it on top of quality bunks that are completely sound and not rotted. But before replacing anything, buy a can of silicone spray and try that first. You may be pleasantly surprised how well that works on the bunk carpet and it is a lot cheaper and easier to install too. As for the strap under the roller, not a problem. mine it the same way. And the fact that the eyelet is below the rubber is the proper way as well. That way IF you make a sudden emergency stop the eyelet catches under the rubber and keep the boat from taking flight and laying in your back seat or truck bed. If you don't have a chain safety attachment from the trailer to the boat bow eyelet, you need one as well. Safety first always! JMHO!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
you're backing in too deep also

Actually I'm not, jet boat on bunks. We powerload all the time here, trailer isn't that far in the water. I launch at more than a dozen different ramps and it never changes with this boat and trailer combo. It's a result of bunk drag and trailer flex.

Last edited:

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was going to use the pressure treated 2X4 that is covered with bunk carpet as a base and screw the 1X4 PVC "wood" on that.
I'll give the silcone a shot first (cuz that easier).
Also I'll take a CLOSE look at the bunk carpet, see if it in fact bunk covering.
I don't like to "power on" as I see this done a lot, I'm more the align up, get moving, slide on in neutral and crank the winch to pull it tight.
I have a safety chain on the front also. (weird things happen, last thing I DON"T want is the insurance company to say, "well this or that wasn't done, sorry you get $0 for the damaged boat"), (I've also seem a few motorcycles and quads decide to "leave" trailers, never ends good)!
It get winched on, safety chain, 2 rear straps, outboard support, AND rechecked, before it moves the 1 block through the camp to it's parking spot!