Tip: when removing Transom Saver, never set it down on the ground . . .

Expidia

Commander
While you move around the rig getting stuff ready to launch the boat for the first time this season. The first trip out is usually a costly one :embarassed:
Set it down on the ground and drove off to the ramp from the staging area.

Damn, this one was my favorites (second one) First one dropped off right at the launch in 5 feet of murky water a few years back at a launch on lake champlain and I was not going swimming for it.

​I say my favorite because this model is not made anymore. No one carries it anymore.

I like this style because I trailer and like the lockable bar that secures the prop while boats parked in a hotel parking lot overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe it is time for you to buy a really good earth magnet and some rope. Then if you ever drop something like that again. use the magnet to retrieve it. :noidea:

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I THINK it's an un written rule that the first few times you;
1) trailer your boat.
2) launch your boat
3) retrieve your boat
You have to lose things, break things, run over things, have to back down the ramp 5 times, fumble @ on the boat like it's the first time you were ever on planet earth, bounce off the dock, (of course EVERYONE is standing there when it happens).
I get nervous first cruise just cuz ANYTHING can and does happen!
If we good, all the marine supply stores would be outta business!
Joe
"Is the plug in? What kinda stupid question is that? What do you think, I'm STUPID??!! It must be rain water the bilge is pumpin out! SH** here's the *^&*^$#!!! plug"!

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
Maybe it is time for you to buy a really good earth magnet and some rope. Then if you ever drop something like that again. use the magnet to retrieve it. :noidea:

Does an earth magnet pick up aluminum? If it does I'm a buyer :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Does an earth magnet pick up aluminum? If it does I'm a buyer :)

NO, no earth magnet will pick up aluminum but there is probable some ferric type metal some where on the transom saver for it to pick on... And if not, then put something on it that is just for that situation if you keep loosing them. Maybe attach another earth magnet on the transom saver. There is always a way if you look for it! :noidea:

airshot

Rear Admiral
This reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I have a small cooler for beverages about the size of a 6 pack, have had it for years. While unloading my boat after a days fishing I set it on the ground and yep...drove off and left it. Went back about an hour later and it was gone. However to my surprise a complete stranger brought it to me on my next outing as he recognized my boat and saw me drive off and leave it. Yes there are good people out there yet!!

Expidia

Commander
Cleary, no matter how much we always feel have all the setting up or breaking down process when trailering down to second nature . . . we need to "always" do a final walk around "before" turning the key or if the key was left in the ignition or motor running . . . then use the shift level before putting vehicle in gear as a walk around reminder.

I'm my own worst enemy . . . for one I don't like to be the person holding up the line, but I also think I've developed a big head knowing I've got this down so smooth after all these years and I think there is too much showmanship of speed showing off to others at the ramp how cool I am at this stuff :)

Last week I was minus -$79 cooler (plus tax).

When you think you are really good at launching and retrieving . . . If you want to get taken down a few pegs, just watch like 100 bass boats at the start or finish of a bass contest launch or retrieve all their boats and they have all disappeared in like 10 minutes :faint2:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
. If you want to get taken down a few pegs, just watch like 100 bass boats at the start or finish of a bass contest launch or retrieve all their boats and they have all disappeared in like 10 minutes :faint2:

This ^^^^^^

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have keys and plug written in sharpie on the tongue of my trailer. Makes it easy to remember, when you hook up the trailer to the truck, put the plug in and grab the boat keys.

And now I want a magnet just to go fishing with to see what I can find :)

Expidia

Commander
Ya, maybe I could sharpie "transom saver" inside my eye lids :joyous: :laugh: :joyous: