Man did I get lucky....

Pony

Rear Admiral
Brought the boat home from storage today and happened to notice grease all over the rim and my dust cap was off. At first I figured the cap had just come loose and I would just have to get a new one.

I then noticed that the spindle wasn't centered in the hub and realized that the rear seal was gone....and so was pretty much everything but the castle nut and pin. I cannot figure out how the wheel didn't come off. I think the fender may have held it on somehow.

Now I just have to how the spindle is still good. Must have happened right before I pulled into the driveway since I didn't notice any trailer shake.....

Maclin

Admiral
It probably is not good, the spindle that is. Look for blue discoloration, would indicate a level of heat that could have potentially reduced the hardness tempering characteristic. I have seen spindles that got so hot they bent back at almost 90 degrees from the heat, then the hub wheel and all come off leaving only remnants of bearing cages and the castle nut.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know just how you feel. A couple of years ago I borrowed BIL snowmobile trailer. I used to take the Admiral's Lehamn trike into town about an hour away. When I was unloading the bike at the bike shop I noticed the passenger wheel was nor sitting right. When I looked at it, I found the same as you, only the bearing races and castle nut were left.

Because I was an hour from home I had to find a mechanic to fix it. Luckily I managed to find one that had time to fix the trailer that day.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For under 200 you can get an entire replacement axle complete with brand new hubs. Beats monkeying around with greasy junked up stuff. I would imagine the other side isn't far behind.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
My dad towed my boat 300 miles to my house a couple years ago. I heard him coming from 2 blocks away, he's a bit hard of hearing! When we went out the next morning to inspect the damage the only thing that was left was the castle nut with pin, all evidence of the bearings was gone, and the spindle was worn 1/2 way through. He claims to have checked it 100 miles from my house and all was fine. Somewhere along the road the bearing buddy came off and I'm guessing that was the start of the end. No more bearing buddies for me! I replaced the axle with one from these guys, http://abctrailerparts.com I highly recommend the Ultra Lube spindles!

tednv

Seaman
My dad towed my boat 300 miles to my house a couple years ago. I heard him coming from 2 blocks away, he's a bit hard of hearing! When we went out the next morning to inspect the damage the only thing that was left was the castle nut with pin, all evidence of the bearings was gone, and the spindle was worn 1/2 way through. He claims to have checked it 100 miles from my house and all was fine. Somewhere along the road the bearing buddy came off and I'm guessing that was the start of the end. No more bearing buddies for me! I replaced the axle with one from these guys, http://abctrailerparts.com I highly recommend the Ultra Lube spindles!

I tack weld bearing buddies to the hub using harbor freight rod welder and stainless rod, lost too many of them. "Can't weld cast iron to stainless blah blah blah..." hasn't fallen off and it's been about two years! the tack weld can be easily knocked off with a screwdriver and hammer or tire iron if i'm out on the road and need an emergency hub swap. Highly recommend this for anyone using bearing buddies, they really need to come up with a better way of securing them to the hub. Once they're installed, you pretty much can't remove and reinstall them and expect them to stay on. Kind of dangerous too, i can only imagine that thing coming off the trailer going 70mph and bouncing up and down the road....

Willdiver

Cadet
I just bought my boat about 6 weeks ago. I took it for inspection, about 15 miles up the interstate, everything went well. Came home and put her in the garage. After work that night, I was packing the boat for my first outing, and I noticed the didn't look right. The bearings on the stbd side were gone. Previous owner never greased, and launched a couple times in salt water. Other side was fine, but I put new bearings and new buddies both sides. This winter will probably be a new entire axle assembly.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
i can only imagine that thing coming off the trailer going 70mph and bouncing up and down the road....

It is scary. On mine it was the passenger side so I can only hope it flew off the road and landed in the ditch. Tacking them on is a good idea!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A better idea that doesn't look so redneck and can be removed easier is to drill a hole near the outer edge of the hub, tap it and put in a allen set screw to hold the buddy on.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I am planning on having to replace that spindle. I am going to put new hubs on each side and start fresh. I dropped the boat off at storage myself and checked everything before I left. It's only 5 or 6 miles away. So I am hoping that maybe the spindle will be ok. Based on the amount of grease on the wheel....I suspect this didn't happen far from the house. I am pretty sure the bearing buddy coming off didn't cause the issue. I think it came off when the bearings came apart.

I am hoping to get everything apart and fixed this week. I was planning on redoing the bearings this season anyways.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You don't replace the spindle you replace the axle... Since you want new hubs just purchase a complete axle assembly.... U Bolt it on and put your wheels on.. Done deal.

Maclin

Admiral
Replacing the spindle can be done but requires some skill and if you have to farm out the work then it could be about as expensive as an axle assembly, and you end up with a patched axle. Going with a new axle with hubs will be much less work and more DIY-compatible with less down time involved and you end up with matching stuff with a known history. I think you mentioned your trailer is not that old, but "stuff" does change and hubs and bearings and the like get superceded occasionally. Going with a new axle with hubs ensures replacement parts will be available for a while into the future.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you have to replace a spindle, it needs to either go to a shop, or you need to build a truing jig, it is very difficult to cut the old one off and weld on a new one and get it right, buying a new axle is normally cheaper and a lot less frustrating to deal with.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I'm still in the process of pricing everything out. I am probably going to go with a new axle with the hubs......just trying to figure out what to go with. I sent an email to Yacht Club to see about the cost of an OEM axle. The axle on the trailer isn't straight I am trying to figure out if I will have a clearance issueif I bolt an aftermarket straight shaft axle on.

If I had to.....I can weld on a new spindle as my neighbor owns a custom SS and metal fab company and has the stuff to do it right.....and for a case of beer. I priced out all the parts at $110....if I don't upgrade the springs. It has 1000lb sleeper springs and I can't figure out why. I may put standard 1750lb springs on it.

The spindle is clearly damaged....as i thought it would be.

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral

How was the ordering process from them? Do you remember what shipping was? The pricing seems almost too good.....

Pony

Rear Admiral
The trailer tag shows a 2600lb rating stock....which seems light. It seems to me they fitting this boat to absolutely max out this trailer when loaded up.

Most aftermarket axles seem to jump from 2000 to 3500. I assume I need to go 3500 and upgrade the springs....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If the price difference is not that much, I would go a head and upgrade to the heavier axle, but make sure your tires are rated correctly also.

Pony

Rear Admiral
If the price difference is not that much, I would go a head and upgrade to the heavier axle, but make sure your tires are rated correctly also.

I have Radial ST's load range C. I should be good on that. The tires are in great shape which is the one thing i have going for me at the moment.

Pony

Rear Admiral
I'm trying to find a picture of my trailer without the boat to get an idea of whether or not a straight axle is going to be an issue.