Enough Clearance?

ace420ace

Seaman Apprentice
Hello aln
I recently purchased a 14ft smokercraft big fisherman with a 25 mariner mounted on the back with remote controls. My question is with the outboard down(running position) the bottom of the outboard is 8 inches from the ground, is this adequate clearance for towing around and up down boat ramps? Thx
P.S.
Karavan single axle trailer.

ace420ace

Seaman Apprentice
From what i have read and the manufacture suggest trailer with the motor in running position.

Mi duckdown

Commander
I would, and have trailered that motor in the down position although locked in neutral or reverse as to not let flop up when hitting a bump in the road since forever

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I trailer my 14 western aluminum 14CT with the motor down all the time and have never had a problem, and I go to some remote lakes here in NW Montana, there is plenty of clearance with both my 9.8 Mercury as well as my 18 Tohatsu, make sure the engine is secure so it don't slap side to side and, and make sure your trailer is level with your tow vehicle, also be aware of your bumps and dips and you will be fine.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
As long as you enter and leave driveways at an angle there will be no issues.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depends a lot on where you live, how far back from the axle the motor is and what roads you travel. Here in Northern Illinois probably OK but in rougher terrain or with different road engineering standards, maybe not.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Let's play with some numbers. Assume we are talking about a trailer that is 18 feet long. Also assume the axle is set 2/3 of the way back from the coupler (or 1/3 of the way forward of the skeg on the motor). With 8 inches of clearance between the skeg and the road, the tongue would have to raise 24 inches (lever factor of 3) before the skeg would hit the ground. The only damage that would likely occur towing with the engine straight down would be if it hit something laying in the road. No "engineered" road I've ever driven on while towing a boat has ever been that rough. A rutted back road or trail leading to a remote lake could certainly present some issues.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OR the axle would have to drop into a 6" dip OR bounce into a 4" dip such that the springs compressed 2"..... OR drop into a 2" dip at the same time as the motor passes over a 5" hump...... Whole bunch of variables here

If it were me there is NO way I would let the motor/ drive of a boat get within about 6" of the imaginary line from the road between the tires and extending past the lowest point of the last crossmember of the trailer.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I'd look at it this way, the only way you'll know for sure if it's okay is by towing it that way. At some point if you smash the skeg, it wasn't a good idea. If you don't, then it was a good idea. I've seen a mark or 2 at more than a couple ramps that certainly look like marks from dragging a skeg. I wouldn't chance it myself.

Last edited:

ace420ace

Seaman Apprentice
so what is the best option buy a transom saver or use tilt lock when trailering?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There are people in both sides of this one too

Without power trim I would probably use a transom saver although I have in the past simply used a ratchet strap to hold the motor up rigidly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
On most engines, the owners manual will caution about the use of the tilt lock when trailering. It is intended to hold the motor up. It generally doe not prevent the motor from bouncing higher and then flopping back onto the tilt lock. Unless you travel really bad roads or are very careless entering and leaving driveways, you really don't need a deflopperizer or any other similar device. I would caution abiout backing up with the motor full down. In that situation you are generally in an area of unknowns and can easily back into a wheel stop in a parking lot, a tree stump or some other obstruction you simply didn't see so put the motor on the tilt lock when backing.