bearing/hub temps

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
pretty sure i'm ok just checking in. Some of you know I did a trailer rehab this year and want to make sure I'm good. JUst pulled home 30 miles most of it about 45-50 mph, last part 60+.

Port side:
  • Air temp is ~80
  • Black tire rubber (in shade) ~105
  • Steel rim at tire rubber ~102
  • Steel rim at hub ~100
  • Bearing hub ~98
Starboard side add 2-4 degrees but that sat for about 10 minutes in the sun (other side in shade) while I went and found my heat gun. We good?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Joe forget about exact temps a few degrees isn't gonna matter. If you can stand to keep your hand on it you are no where near needing to worry.... If it burns your skin you may have issues but not guaranteed... Brakes can get the bearings plenty hot to burn you but still not a problem until the grease starts to break down at 3 or 400* or higher.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joe forget about exact temps a few degrees isn't gonna matter. If you can stand to keep your hand on it you are no where near needing to worry.... If it burns your skin you may have issues but not guaranteed... Brakes can get the bearings plenty hot to burn you but still not a problem until the grease starts to break down at 3 or 400* or higher.

+1

Absolute temps are not that important. A better measure of performance is to determine your "normal" operating temps then use those figures to determine if you're OK or not.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Think of it this way: Is 98 degrees body temperature harmful to you? Is 98 degrees ambient temperature, although uncomfortable, unlivable?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
+++ Smoke said it best....if you can keep your hand on the hub after a long haul, your good to go. I installed new axle/hubs myself 2 years ago,,,after over 100's miles of trailering (both ways) I would park and feel the hubs,, they were warm only,, that's it.... if they are burning hot, perhaps that's ok too...all I know if mine are just warm

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok so warm is good, hot is bad (unless it's your wife).

Got it.

Thanks. - just over thinking this since I did all the work myself and after loosing a wheel a'm a bit paranoid.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
redneckjoe, if you can fry an egg on it, its too hot. Otherwise you're okay. Road temps do work into the wheels and such just because they are touching each other. One really good way to tell if you have a problem is to look into your side mirrors, and if you see smoke coming from the hubs, you have a problem... :facepalm:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
redneckjoe, if you can fry an egg on it, its too hot. Otherwise you're okay. Road temps do work into the wheels and such just because they are touching each other. One really good way to tell if you have a problem is to look into your side mirrors, and if you see smoke coming from the hubs, you have a problem... :facepalm:

add a wheel at 45 degree angle to the road. Been there, not a happy day

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would actually expect more than what you are posting for numbers, as long as the grease is not melting out of the hub and the wheel is still free wheeling you are fine.

Maclin

Admiral
I go by hand temp, should be able to leave your palm on the hub for a bit and not get uncomfortable. In the summer mine feel as hot just sitting in the sun as they do after an hour on the road.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I measure temps on my two trailers all the time when towing long distance. Your temps are typical, at least in my experience. Of course, the hubs with brakes do get hotter. If I'm remembering right, it's 20-30 degrees warmer. In any case, the important temperature measurement in my way of thinking is the temperature difference between wheels. If one hub is significantly hotter than the other three (I have tandem axle trailers), it may indicate a problem.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If people are gathering around your trailer at the ramp after backing it into the water enjoying a redneck sauna you might have a problem. :lol: