Tie Down Bearing Protector

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I finally decided to retire my leaking 35 YO Bearing Buddy bearing protectors. Got a pair of 1.98 D units by Tie Down Engineering at West (would have bought Bearing Buddy, but they didn't have them).

Anyways, not much user info in the package. Unlike my old Bearing Buddy units, these have small holes in the housing - that open to let out grease when the compression plate moves out a bit. I'm assuming these holes are to prevent over-filling. And, the operating procedure would be to stop pumping grease in as soon as grease starts to exit from the hole.

Do I have it right?

Are these Tie Down units any good, or, did I buy pieces of crap? I'm saving the old BB's just in case.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I have used them for years with no problems and yes, you are correct. When grease starts to issue from the small hole on the side, stop pumping.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Personally I would stop pumping as soon as the plate will wobble.... If you pump till grease comes out then when they warm up and expand more grease will come out at road speed and fly...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally I would stop pumping as soon as the plate will wobble.... If you pump till grease comes out then when they warm up and expand more grease will come out at road speed and fly...
Agreed.

In addition, all the people that pump grease into these every outing are the ones that blow out their seals.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Agreed.

In addition, all the people that pump grease into these every outing are the ones that blow out their seals.

That would be (or, hopefully, was) me. The old BB's leaked down between uses - the covers were filled with grease that seeped out between the plate and housing.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I had to replace the axle on my little boat tlr and bought an EZ lube. I asked my local guy I bought them from, who isn't a BSer, about these for boat tlrs and he said he's been selling them for boat tlrs for several yrs and hasn't had any complaints. To me it makes sense because once the cavity is filled there's no air to contract and pull in water.
Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a trailer with an EZ Lube axle and one with Bearing Buddys. The only one that got water inside was the EZ Lube one.