Finally upgraded my tow vehicle . . . check out this aluminum "ball mount"u

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
165 lb person bouncing on a 2' lever would produce close to 400 ft/lbs

with a 2' lever you only need to apply 90 lbs of pressure

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
On that convert a ball, make sure and take that thing off regularly and lube it, or it will freeze up on you, I know from experience, I have had 2 of their 3 ball kits and forgot and they have both ended up in the scrape heap.

I agree with that. cut off 4 of dad's convert a balls with the torch so far to date as he tends to leave them on all winter.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The ball mounts directions say that the mechanism inside is sealed. Says to never use WD 40 in the lock cylinder. Only to use a light lubricant like "air tool oil" that makes sense as WD40 can gum things up. I'll pick up some air tool oil off amazon and keep it handy. My other combo ball unit that I use on my Saab I just took out of its hitch bag to lube it. It was very free. Could push the pin out with my finger. They also make other metals like nickel which are the cheaper ones and probably corrode pretty quick. I think the stainless balls are pretty good.

If the pins on the aluminum mount are not moving freely instructions say its usually due to rust or a drill burr the directions say. That makes sense as my two other cheapo uhaul hitches rust inside the tube like crazy no matter how much grease I use. I can see inside rust easily interfering with the pins operation.

Even the hitch pins on the aluminum mount are stainless.

Here is a link to the stainless convert-a-ball and their other models:
http://www.etrailer.com/p-903b.html

As I have said, I have had them in the past and they will freeze up on you, even the stainless ones can freeze up.

Sounds like you are more prudent that others I know, but still make sure and keep it clean and lubed and it should last you a long time.

As far as WD-40 gumming up, yes, it can as can any oil exposed to dust, dirt and road salt.