Identify trailer part?

duponts

Cadet
I am almost too embarrassed to post- I have been doing a ton of maintenance on my boat trailer and Mercruiser engine. In cleaning up, I found this part which, for the life of me, I cannot identify. It has slotted ends and a small gear like wheel on it. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• photo218875.jpg
    photo218875.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is a simple brake adjust for drum brakes. However, I can't see how that part was simply laying there and no other parts. If you don't have a trailer with any brakes on it, it doesn't go on your trailer. However, if you do have a trailer with brakes, don't use it until it is replaced and adjusted...

UncleWillie

Captain
That is a simple brake adjust for drum brakes. However, I can't see how that part was simply laying there and no other parts. If you don't have a trailer with any brakes on it, it doesn't go on your trailer. However, if you do have a trailer with brakes, don't use it until it is replaced and adjusted...

+++1 !!! This!

If you are missing the adjuster one one side; when you apply the brakes, the brake cylinder on that side will have nothing to push against and the piston will push out of the cylinder. Without any back pressure on the cylinder, the brakes on the other side will not be able to build pressure either.
It is not just that the brakes on one side aren't working; Both sides aeren't working! You have NO Brakes!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you left that part our when you changed brakes you likely didnt do a manual adjustment on the new shoes once you had the drums back on. Normally you want to do an initial adjustment when to finish up the brake job. Then they self adjust after that.