1ft tongue extention question

G

Hi All, I have a 12ft inflatable and a trailer. What is the best way to extend the tongue? Weight is not that much of an issue because it is very light.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For a light trailer/boat rig, you could go with a 12" hitch extender for about 20 bucks from HF. It won't add length to the trailer if you have storage issues. If you use an extender, check your tongue weight and with the ball moved back 12", towing characteristics might change some. I find the trailer reacts differently with the extender.

image_22651.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The best way to lengthen the tongue is to remove the old tongue and install a new longer one.

Depending on the trailer that could require cutting and welding or just drilling and bolting.

G

For a light trailer/boat rig, you could go with a 12" hitch extender for about 20 bucks from HF. It won't add length to the trailer if you have storage issues. If you use an extender, check your tongue weight and with the ball moved back 12", towing characteristics might change some. I find the trailer reacts differently with the extender.

image_22651.jpg

i got this trailer
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2542_200612542

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OH now I remember you..... We talked about this before....

Look around locally for welding shops, metal mart, steel supply, etc...
Measure the height, width, and thickness and figure how much length you want and buy a new piece of steel the same thickness or thicker...

Drill the holes, paint it, and bolt it in. Done deal.