Cheap and Easy Transmission Temp Reading

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Guys. A little while back, I bought a device for giving me a more advanced reading on my truck's performance (not towing related). I am sure some of you are aware of this, but to those who are not, it is a little device that plugs into your diagnostics computer (usually under the dash).

A typical OBD Device is similar to this:

61s9HO1DcSL._SL1500__zpsnuiycekj.jpg

Via a smartphone and bluetooth you can get an app (I use torque pro) that will give a completely customized reading of anything you want (Engine Torque, Horsepower, Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, Air Intake Temp, etc). I mount my phone to the dash, just like I would if I was using it as a GPS.

The reason I am posting this here is because my truck does have a transmission temp sensor, but it does not display it in any onboard gauges....so for towing I find this device very helpful to make sure I am not overloading anything.

It is pretty neat and it ends up looking something like this on my phone:

Screenshot_2012-11-18-02-29-20_zpsqxpfx7jo.png

The OBD device and app are pretty cheap (about $20 for both).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What truck do you have?

I have a 1/2T 99 Silverado and I sent my instrument cluster to a speedometer shop and had them add one to my cluster. Mine now looks like a 3/4T cluster which comes factory with the gauge.

Last edited:

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I call it a "truck" but its a Ford Explorer. I would love to have one installed in-dash, but this is a cheap alternative. It also doubles as a diagnostic tool if your car/truck throws a code.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Very cool! Does it use GPS or cell data or is it only blue tooth? I am just wondering if I could use one of my older iphones (no longer connected to cell service) and just leave it in the truck.

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine uses only blue tooth, so an older phone should work....but you need to down load the app somehow with that older phone..so I guess you could do that via wifi.

jkust

Rear Admiral
This is cool...since I don't have a trans temp on either of my suv's and would like one. Call me crazy but I don't see the read out for the trans temp on the example screen? I wonder then if my suv even has the ability to measure the trans temp?

Last edited:

UConnMRB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah sorry that was just a sample photo pulled from google. Once in the app you can add any readouts you want as long as your vehicles computer tracks what you are looking for...you can even elect to have it read as digital or tach layout or both...you can move them around to make each read out larger or smaller or whatever you want.

bigdee

Commander
Very cool! Does it use GPS or cell data or is it only blue tooth? I am just wondering if I could use one of my older iphones (no longer connected to cell service) and just leave it in the truck.

You can also get it in WiFi instead of bluetooth. I use OBD Autodoctor software on my desktop and laptop for more mobility, can monitor from inside house or in the vehicle. I don't use the phone app.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I use bluetooth ODB connections for all kinds of things... I recommend the 'torque' app on android, one of the best out there. And no, you don't need any cellular connection. In fact, an old tablet with bluetooth works perfectly for this!

oldjeep

Admiral
You can also get it in WiFi instead of bluetooth. I use OBD Autodoctor software on my desktop and laptop for more mobility, can monitor from inside house or in the vehicle. I don't use the phone app.

I use the WP8.1 phone app version of OBD AutoDoctor with a cheap Bluetooth module, works great. Great thing about OBD Auto Doctor is that they have a version to run on just about anything.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I use a ScanGauge to do the same thing. It plugs into the OBD port on my truck and I have it mounted to my rear view mirror. These pictures are representative and not of my actual installation. Both the selected gauges and the color scheme are completely configurable. I've got mine showing MPH, MPG, volts, and transmission fluid temperature with Ford green back lighting.

Attachments

• photo218826.PNG
    photo218826.PNG
    252.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo218827.PNG
    photo218827.PNG
    201.9 KB · Views: 0

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
My Chevy Tahoe has temp sensor because until its warm it won't shift to Over Drive