New small trailer. Does it matter if hitch is kinda high?

I wanted a boat, so I put a hitch on the wife's 2013 Grand Caravan. The guys at U-Haul told me they mount super low, and had me get a 6" drop thing (I dunno the lingo yet) and use it upside down. So, I bought an old light 14' aluminum boat with a trailer. The tongue is angled up about 6 degrees when towing. The entire boat, Mariner 9.9 and trailer is only 400-500 pounds I'd say. Do I care about the angle of the tongue? .Should I get a straight slide in thingamabob? Thanks for any information. I'm such a noob. I can see another post coming about the 1990 Mariner 9.9 that came with it over on the motor area..:)

- Man-Overboard

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes, yes you should... Go back to uhaul with the boat in tow and have them sell you the correct ball mount (thingamabob) that will have the trailer level and hopefully they'll credit you for the one they shouldn't have pushed on you.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.....Welcome Aboard,.... I agree with smoke,..... Go trade yer draw bar for the Right one,....

Depending on the angle, you could get some bad trailer sway when driving on the highway. You want the trailer tongue (thingamajiggy bar connecting trailer to vehicle) to be level when hooked up to the receiver hitch / draw bar (drop thing / thingamabob). Take a level with you to make sure the u-haul guys get it correct. Some quick forum searches (here) and web searches will tell you a lot about trailering your boat, correct terminology, etc. It's best that you do some of that research before going back to u-haul so that you are informed and not likely to get duped by them a second time.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
As mentioned, level is good or angled slightly towards the tow vehicle will work too.... You want some tongue weight..... Approx. 10% - 15% of the load being towed....

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers guys. Since the 6" drop they sold me running upside down is 4" of lift I might try a straight one next. A Dodge Caravan hitch is really low and I'm afraid I'll be bottoming out everyplace if I try for a drop. I just measured it. Bottom of the RECIEVER HITCH :) is only 9" from the pavement when level.

- Man-Overboard <<<--- Why didn't anyone have this name yet?!?!?!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That's not particularly low... Measure your trailer height when level and figure what you need from there... Don't guess.

Twidget

Commander
I had a friend that towed a pop up trailer with his caravan. He used a 2" drop inverted, 6" seems a bit drastic. As everyone has said, level is the way to go. Welcome aboard.