wiring plug adapters

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I am picking up a trailer with a 5 pin flat plug. my Ford factory receiver has a spot for a 7 pin plug and a spot for a 4 pin flat plug.

I am looking up adapters for a 7 pin to 5 pin connection. and I am seeing 7 pins adapter with a stud in the center, and 7 pin adapters with NO stud in the center!!!

here is my receiver opening:

2uj2yjb.jpg

so there is something in the center that would contact a center stud. But none of the 7 pin to 4 pin adapters I have now have a stud in the center, and they work fine for a non braked trailer.

do I NEED an adapter with a stud in the center?

thanks

bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My neighbor had a similar situation and he found such an adapter at a local Tractor Supply store. But I would think that most any auto parts store would have such adapters as well.

oldjeep

Admiral
Center pin has to be there on a 7-5 adapter since that is where the reverse light circuit comes through. On a 4 pin adapter you don't need the center pin since the reverse circuit does not exist on a 4 pin.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Center pin has to be there on a 7-5 adapter since that is where the reverse light circuit comes through. On a 4 pin adapter you don't need the center pin since the reverse circuit does not exist on a 4 pin.

thanks...glad I asked

bob

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... For what it's worth,.... My truck has/ uses a 7 pin round connector, the standard tractor-trailer connector,.....

Many of my wagons use the 4 pin flat connectors,....
ALL of the pre-made adapters I've found, Don't carry through the Ground pins,....

So,.... I made my own adapter, that allows me to use the 4 pin flat, 'n I added a 7 pin flat connector to use other wagons with the 7 flat pin RV type plugs,....

I'll try to remember to pop a picture of it, 'n post it here,....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You could always just put the 7 blade RV plug on the trailer n be done w it. Personally I hate having to mess w an adapter.

UncleWillie

Captain
Electric brakes are on pin #2 of a 7 pin connector.
Pin #5 of a 5 pin flat will always be "Reverse" unless someone Rednecked it.
If you have a brake signal on a 5 pin flat, you, and the other redneck in town will be the only ones that the the trailer brakes will work for. ;)
There is a reason that standardization comes highly recommended!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Electric brakes are on pin #2 of a 7 pin connector.
Pin #5 of a 5 pin flat will always be "Reverse" unless someone Rednecked it.
If you have a brake signal on a 5 pin flat, you, and the other redneck in town will be the only ones that the the trailer brakes will work for. ;)
There is a reason that standardization comes highly recommended!
I have seen trailers wired this way and you will even see it described this way on certain sites. Not sure if any adapters are done this way though.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I bought a reese adapter that has a flat 4way and a flat 5 way to plug into...it also has a row of three lights. I plugged it into my truck and only the light with the T lights up...the L and R don't light

is that turn signals.. and does it mean I have a blown fuse in the truck?

bob