Titling a Trailer in VA w/o Title

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I know for a fact this topic has been discussed before because I've searched and found some threads about it but my situation is slightly different.

Here's what happen....

Bought a boat mid summer last year off a coworker of my dads. He was in the very familiar place where he needed the money (for a heat pump) so I basically stole it off him (talked him down 8K). When we did the signing over I asked him where the trailer title is. He says " the guy i bought it off of 6 years ago didn't have one and its never been a problem"... reluctantly I said f' it, still a good deal w/o trailer. It has a permanent VA tag on it that is linked to god knows who. I used it all last summer without issue but I'd like to get an inspection sticker for it (because cops will do a fund raiser and just go thru the boat ramp parking lot and write people up).

I might be able to weasel and inspection sticker , but that doesn't "solve" my problem. I see you can pay the state to do a "title investigation" for like 200 bucks. Since it has a tag (that MAYBE actually belongs to that trailer) I might be able to track down the original owner, but I've read this rarely works. I don't want to go the "home made" route because this is a tandem trailer with brakes and its obviously not home made.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In my state it does not matter what type of trailer it is or how good of quality it is, if there is no title and no hit on the stolen registry by vin number, they label it "Home Made"

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Used to be the same way here in the People's Republic of Illinois. But now you have to go through a long process of inspections (yes plural) and since the state os 6 months behind right now, you'd be sure to get a ticket.

Depends where the trailer usually stays (driveway, garage, off site storage, etc) but if you can "weasel" a sticker, do it and call it done. Just one man's opinion.....either way good luck and let us know how it turns out.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I live in VA. I was looking to buy a boat from out of state. The guy did not have a title for the trailer (tandem w/brakes). Getting that trailer titled in VA was going to be such a hassle (from what I could find out) that it wasn't worth buying the boat. AFAIK you are better off just buying a trailer that has a title than trying to get the untitled trailer though the process. If your boat is only 18' (according to your signature) a trailer may only be about $1-2K for a new one. I bought a new trailer for 16' RIB in MD for $800 a couple of years ago.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't want to go the "home made" route because this is a tandem trailer with brakes and its obviously not home made.

Irrelevant....a trailer w/o a legible serial number (like mine) or title is "home made"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
In GA THEY, not me, listed my trailer as home made and I had to get a state patrol to fill out a little form and certify it as road worthy. Such a forest. He couldn't care less about the trailer but looked at from a distance and signed the form and off he went. So my refurbished trailer, which you can see in my signature link, is now my home build trailer and no other things matter with it now... No big deal...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
In my state if it has no vin you apply for a vin... If you know the manufacturer and year then it gets titled as what it is.

In Virginia it looks to be the same deal except it looks like you may have to have a title to do it unless you lie and say it's home made.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa22.pdf

Last edited:

tgell001

Petty Officer 1st Class
well the sticker with the VIN is completely illegible. And most the other identification is too (venture , etc) . I actually have. 25 ft boat now, so that makes the trailer much more expensive. I'm thinking of painting it with a coat of paint and calling it home made. Anyone done this in VA?

bigdee

Commander
well the sticker with the VIN is completely illegible. And most the other identification is too (venture , etc) . I actually have. 25 ft boat now, so that makes the trailer much more expensive. I'm thinking of painting it with a coat of paint and calling it home made. Anyone done this in VA?

Sometimes we do what we have to do but don't ask a public forum for approval!

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm also a good ol Virginia resident. When it comes to buying boat trailers that have "less than clean" titles...don't do it - don't do it - don't do it!! Virginia DMV can be terrible to deal with on this subject. Getting a homemade DMV trailer title can be a bear as well.