First Outing

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
The chance of failure is slim. Basically a hydraulic line would have to break. I have used the clips since day 1. My boat is a 1989 so my hydraulic lines are also 1989. Remove clips and put clips on are just part of my launch and retrieve routine. I know of one person this happened to and that was a stupid person problem. He cross threaded a line when he replaced it. It held when he raised and lowered the unit in the driveway. Blew out when he was going down the road.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ouch! So far I have decided not to use anything. But I'm sure if I had more invested in my drive I'd reconsider.

UncleWillie

Captain
Good decision!
I have never supported mine on the road from day one on a brand new boat.
Be sure Lower the drive once you get home.
The bellows take a beating when stored in the UP Position.
The chances of the bellows leaking is higher than the drive going down on its own.
If the drive won't stay up under its own weight, it definitely will not stay trimmed UP while under way.

MRS

Commander
Right or wrong I run one strap under out drive to the ski eye just in case. I did have a axle let go on the Hwy. And back of the trailer did smack the pavement but no damage to the outdrive. So I will always run one strap from ski eye to the outdrive just incase just my two cents worth.