First Outing

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, after major engine overhaul, I'm getting ready to head to the lake for the first time. My question is on the outdrive. Is it necessary to support it during trailering? If so, is this an appropriate way to do so?

Bondo

Staff member
Nope,... So long as yer trim system is up to snuff, No problem,.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
your straps won't hurt anything but are not needed....... Some folks are overly paranoid about the trim system failing and they use trailering clips... you can make your own with pvc.... Not needed tho

TC-1-DP-motor-support-sterndrive-trailering-clips-art-500.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
I'd be more worried about the straps and ratchets damaging the gel coat than I would be about the drive falling.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was worried about that too. I put a rag under one of the rachets. But I do like the pvc idea. But if not needed I'll be good without. Thanks all!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The Mercruiser Owner's Manual specifies using the brackets shown in post #4. It's not because you should be afraid of the drive falling, but rather that the bouncing down the highway could damage the hydraulics.

In the end though its not worth bothering about because it takes a lot of time to install them and most people get rid of the boat after a few years anyway.

oldjeep

Admiral
Funny that if mercruiser thinks you should use them that they don't supply them with the drive package. I've seen exactly 1 set of those clips ever - on an old cobra drive.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If anything is bouncing enough to damage the hydraulic system then SOMEBODY needs to stop prerunning the Baha 1000 towing a boat..... even then I think the hull would be busted up way before the hydraulics had any problem at all..... maybe if the boat got rear ended by a car but then you'd have bigger issues.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I use towing clips. I know the chance of anything happening is small. I just don't like the idea of my $10K duo prop drive banging on the highway.

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
If anything is bouncing enough to damage the hydraulic system then SOMEBODY needs to stop prerunning the Baha 1000 towing a boat..... even then I think the hull would be busted up way before the hydraulics had any problem at all..... maybe if the boat got rear ended by a car but then you'd have bigger issues.

Hummmm. You haven't drove much in Iowa I take it. The roads here feel like the Baja 1000!!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I've been through Iowa a time or 10... Trust me the hydraulics are gonna be fine... they can handle 260 hp pushing on them and hitting a log in the river at 30 mph.... Been there done that....

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
I suppose your right on that one. Water isn't very forgiving.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
it's not going to be something dramatic that cause them to fail. Do a search for people that have had issues of their drive slowly lowering over night.

Cheap insurance to use the clips.

Bondo

Staff member
It's not because you should be afraid of the drive falling, but rather that the bouncing down the highway could damage the hydraulics.

Ayuh,..... Bullship,.... That 100lb drive ain't gonna hurt anything, boucin' or not,....

The hyd.s can handle 500hp of power pushin' against 'em, liftin' a several thousand pound hull outa the water,........

That drive boucin' is like a feather rubbin' yer nose,....

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's my conclusion after asking. I'm perfectly fine not adding another strap to forget.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
My dad knew someone who lost chunks of the lower unit while there were traveling to and from the lake because the hydraulics failed. With the hydraulics out, what happens if a line breaks or leaks......... Gravity wins! For my boat its a risk I am not taking and a just throw a strap on while i am at the back strapping the boat to the trailer. But I know I have a hydraulic leak somewhere, because I am always refilling the hydraulic tank every few trips, so I'm at a higher risk factor.

oldjeep

Admiral
My dad knew someone who lost chunks of the lower unit while there were traveling to and from the lake because the hydraulics failed. With the hydraulics out, what happens if a line breaks or leaks......... Gravity wins! For my boat its a risk I am not taking and a just throw a strap on while i am at the back strapping the boat to the trailer. But I know I have a hydraulic leak somewhere, because I am always refilling the hydraulic tank every few trips, so I'm at a higher risk factor.

Well, fix the damn thing - that fluid is either going in your bilge or the lake.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'll stick with the Mercruiser guys. I think they know more than we do. If you slip a boat you don't need them. That's why they are optional.

We can debate all day long what MIGHT happen. One thing for sure, if you use them NOTHING will happen. How lucky do you feel? Or is $9.99 too much to spend?

Fogetting isn't an excuse. It's just another bullet on the "how to launch the boat" list. Y'all have a list don't ya? When they come off they are put in the pile with the transom tie downs. Anybody ever forget to put them back on?

sub2010ss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Apparently there's many schools of thought on this one. Trust me I wouldn't forget. That was just humor. As long as I know the correct answer I'll be sure to do it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The correct answer is make your own judgement call.... Use em if you think you need em.... Wear a tinfoil hat if you think you need that lol.

Yes you have a 1 in a million chance on needing them... You have a much bigger chance of getting hit by lightening.....

For absolute safety put clips on the out drive and go back in the house..... Being outside is much too dangerous lol.