Back of trailer hitting the floor

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice
As the title says, the back of the trailer keeps rubbing on the ground whenever I pull in/out of a driveway (gas station, plaza etc). I hope I am wrong. The reflectors on the back have broken off. I have been through 3 transom savers too. The first I lost, and the last too have broken off while towing my boat. I don't know what is going on. Before losing my first transom saver, I never had that problem (3-6 months with boat). I guess the only way to really find out is to have someone drive behind me while i pull in and out of driveways. Have any of you ever run into something like this before? I will post pics after I get my boat boat back from service tomorrow.

Sea Ray Bow Rider 180 1989 135hp
Thanks!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My first thought was that your trailer hitch is way too high. Second thought was boy you sure are driving up some steep driveways. Third thought was that the boat sticks out too far on the trailer.

Need pics...

alldodge

Staff member
As the title says, the back of the trailer keeps rubbing on the ground whenever I pull in/out of a driveway (gas station, plaza etc). I hope I am wrong. The reflectors on the back have broken off. I have been through 3 transom savers too. The first I lost, and the last too have broken off while towing my boat. I don't know what is going on. Before losing my first transom saver, I never had that problem (3-6 months with boat). I guess the only way to really find out is to have someone drive behind me while i pull in and out of driveways. Have any of you ever run into something like this before? I will post pics after I get my boat boat back from service tomorrow.

Sea Ray Bow Rider 180 1989 135hp
Thanks!

What are you towing the boat with and is the trailer level when attached to the tow?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like somebody need a drop hitch before they grind their trailer into dust...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It sounds like someone is towing with a short wheel based rig, which is going to give a very sharp entry and exit angle that could cause this to happen.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Post pictures of your boat/trailer hitched to your tow vehicle.

oldjeep

Admiral
One option, assuming that your hitch is set up correctly is to install some rollers. Most ski boat trailers have log type rollers at the back of the trailer under the prop guard supports. The ones on mine are about 4" wide.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice
My first thought was that your trailer hitch is way too high. Second thought was boy you sure are driving up some steep driveways. Third thought was that the boat sticks out too far on the trailer.

Need pics...

I will post pics Monday and include measurements.
I've been using the the same hitch since I bought the boat. The driveways are the typical ones (gas stations). The boat is not sticking out any more than when I got it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's good only If you need it. But without a pic nobody can say.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another thing to consider is that if you ever get a trailer that needs sway control or weight distribution, may be best to get one of the two pin adjustable ones. I bought the tri-ball adjustable mount, and believe I can just bolt a w/d hitch to it without having to buy the receiver mount that comes with the w/d hitch.

My popups and larger trailer are 2" balls, the small trailer and jon boat are 1-7/8" balls, and if I ever did get a travel trailer, it would most likely be the 2-5/16" ball, so I should have all the bases covered with it.

Only thing is that with the one I got, I needed 3 locking pins to make it secure, one for the hitch, one for the drop (can use the other non-locking pin with it), and one for the insert ball mount. But with the balls being welded to the insert, one would have to cut the locks or ball off, or unbolt the hitch to get the trailer. And unfortunately around here, these are commonly stolen if left on the truck any amount of time unlocked.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I will post pics Monday and include measurements.
I've been using the the same hitch since I bought the boat. The driveways are the typical ones (gas stations). The boat is not sticking out any more than when I got it.
Are you implying that it does it now but not before? Then you don't need the drop hitch you posted the link to. Sounds like your trailer is falling apart.

Until you get a new one just don't drive up driveways.

oldjeep

Admiral
Yes, if this is a new issue then check to see if your springs broke, or if you have a new bend in the trailer.

daddie05

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys! My trailer problem just got worse. Last week I was going to go fishing and I couldn't get it out of my driveway because the trailer had gotten even lower. Luckily I had some 4x4's laying around and was able to get my trailer out and back in. I think the suspension might be bad. The back rubs enough to damage my ramp/driveway. I am towing with a 2009 Range Rover and when I dirst bought the boat, I never had an issue with the low trailer.