How am I going to pull my boat now?

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing wrong with that system Chad, nice heavy duty set up that has a very good history of being reliable, it is a bit more costly than some of them, but with that cost comes extra piece of mind knowing the system is not going to let you down in the long run.

Can you give me an example of an ample system that DOES cost a bit less? I just don't think I've found the "mother load" of options. That's actually the cheapest system I've seen that exceeds all my conditions. Still safe of course. Much appreciated!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't know that you are really going to find a system that is less expensive, now you do realize, that price you are looking at, is only for the extension bar, it does not include the new receiver that goes under the truck, right? They are exclusive to each other. If you have a local RV place, give them a call or drop by and talk to one of their hitch people to see what he would recommend.

Here is a page you might take a look at, has good information in extensions and calculations:

http://www.visualsc.com/hitch_calc.htm

Also, here is the google images page on the various types of things out there, might be able to get some ideas, if you click on an image, it normally has a link to go to the page with that information on it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hit...npYDyM%2C_&usg=__SPOixhpWP7pwr3zmyMuA6F2eKaU=

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
No, I do see that. It's similar with the Titan set-up as well. Looks like I'll be forking out $600-$1,000 to make this work. It is what it is I guess.:noidea:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, not a lot comes up when I search "hitch extension".... I'll keep my eyes open! :eek:

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Something else to think about, the extension bar will put a lot more tongue weight equivalent on your hitch, in torque downward force. A weight distributing hitch really shines in this case where you have the ball so far behind the axle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told when it came to hitch extenders, the hitch can carry the weighted lb up to about 6 inches behind the hitch opening. So a 4' extension will reduce the rating on the hitch by a factor of 8. Your 1000 lb weight carrying hitch can only now carry 125 lbs. Now, this is not super exact but is a very good idea to get the forces involved when you add an extender. So what is your hitch rated to, and how much of an extender are you using, and what is your tongue weight. And your hitch will carry more then what it is rated to before it fails. I also don't know if the 6 inches is right, it could be 8" or 1'.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Something else to think about, the extension bar will put a lot more tongue weight equivalent on your hitch, in torque downward force. A weight distributing hitch really shines in this case where you have the ball so far behind the axle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always told when it came to hitch extenders, the hitch can carry the weighted lb up to about 6 inches behind the hitch opening. So a 4' extension will reduce the rating on the hitch by a factor of 8. Your 1000 lb weight carrying hitch can only now carry 125 lbs. Now, this is not super exact but is a very good idea to get the forces involved when you add an extender. So what is your hitch rated to, and how much of an extender are you using, and what is your tongue weight. And your hitch will carry more then what it is rated to before it fails. I also don't know if the 6 inches is right, it could be 8" or 1'.

That is why the ones that have been recommended are specifically designed to work in this type of situation, then help transfer weight to a different point in the hitching system. The ones that have been listed here are not just extensions, but they are systems specifically designed to do this type of set up.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yep as MT said the reciever and extension come as a system... You generally can't just use an extension this long with any old reciever.

Last edited: